Alternatives to gun safe for apartment dweller?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeff, CA
  • Start date Start date
J

Jeff, CA

The topic header says it all. I live in an apartment (alone - safe for burglary protection only). I don't have room for a safe the size of a refrigerator (though I really need one), I can't drill holes in the walls to anchor a lock box/cabinet, and there's just no place to hide anything bigger than a wallet.

The simple answer is to buy a house. I'm in an inexpensive area, and could afford it, but I don't want to be tied to it when the time comes to bug out of Kalifornia.

If you can't bolt to the wall then get a decent gun cabinet with several heavy lead bars in the bottom. 400 lbs of lead plus a hundred pounds of guns and ammo make it pretty hard to tote off. You can remove the lead bars one by one when you're ready to move it.

[This message has been edited by KilgorII (edited June 06, 2000).]

IF you were careful and filled the holes before you left you could probably get away with mounting a gun cabnet in a closet. Failing that I'd go with the lead bars.

Sholling has the answer. If you screw it to the wall with 5/16X 4" lag screws you could remove it and spackle the holes. Unless you are on a slab you could probably get by with a couple in the floor too.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

I just did install a Stack-On side by side in my apartment closet with 6 4" lag bolts into the studs. Works for me. I never would have gotten a real safe up these rickety old stairs and wouldn't trust the floor with a water bed. My apartments are about 25 years old so they are probably sturdy. But I live near a river so,... this set up works fine until I get into a house.
Good luck.

Here's what I did once in an apartment. It requires a couple of holes, but losing your deposit is worth protecting your guns.

I just took a steel "ring" piece of hardware and secured it to a wall stud through the sheetrock via 4 wood screws (you'll see the kind of hardware I mean if you look around). Then ran a $10 bicycle cord lock through the ring and through the trigger guards of all firearms and locked it. Won't stop a determined thief, but may slow him down enough to think twice and pass you up for an easier score.

Yes, FOTO, did this for my overflow military collection of longarms/bayonets with two 4" big galvanised screw-eyes with a good "Lockwood" padlock at each end - on a 4Tonne s/steel towing cable through the trigger guards, I took all the bolts out too, also the room is sensor alarmed and lockable.

No problems... Hmm..except MY easy access so far !! ;)

------------------
***Big Bunny***

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Futo Inu:
...losing your deposit is worth protecting your guns.[/quote]

Touche. I may be drilling some holes here in the near future.

*going off to look for threads on safes*

Back