Alternatives for mineral spirits in 45-45-10 bullet lube?

TruthTellers

Using Lee Liquid Alox to lube 800 round balls for use in .38 Special used up a good deal of that smelly snot stuff, so I decided to grab a tub of Johnson paste wax, but I decided not to get a thing of mineral spirits because I doubt I will ever use it all in my lifetime.

Are there any alternatives to mineral spirits that I could use instead? Say, rubbing alcohol?

I go through about a gallon of mineral spirits per year, even while using it almost exclusively to clean mil-surps and grotty old commercial guns that are caked in old BLO, animal fat, mystery substances, and gummy WD-40.
It also comes in handy for cleaning some small engine parts, and as a more "gentle" option for soaking sensitive carburetor parts.

If you don't want to buy mineral spirits, then you need to find another lube.

If you're a fan of tumble lubing with home brewed LLA mixtures, then take a look at the "new recipe" which uses LLA and Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax with no cooking. Those are the only two ingredients, and it is claimed to be almost a direct substitute for 45-45-10, for application and performance.
There's also BLL, 60% LLA and 40% Johnson's One Step No Buff Wax.

If you want to make your life easier and avoid the chemicals, while using the same lube, you can buy jugs of 45-45-10 from LSS.

Using Lee Liquid Alox to lube 800 round balls for use in .38 Special used up a good deal of that smelly snot stuff, so I decided to grab a tub of Johnson paste wax, but I decided not to get a thing of mineral spirits because I doubt I will ever use it all in my lifetime.

Are there any alternatives to mineral spirits that I could use instead? Say, rubbing alcohol?
I have always bought what lottle bit of lube I use.

A quart of mineral spirits costs $6 and has many other uses. I doubt you'll find anything better for cheaper. The mineral spirits is the cheapest and easiest component to find.

You could try a small mix and see.
The mineral spirits are there to make it a little thinner so you don't get it too heavy, then it evaporates.
If the alcohol mixes/dissolves cleanly with the LLA and the JPW, it should work.

The material safety data sheet for Lee Liquid Alox is found on their web site: https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/90177.pdf

The product is a mix of Alox and LPA®-142 Solvent. LPA®-142 Solvent is a petroleum-based solvent, so it is unlikely to mix with alcohol. Moreover, most rubbing alcohol has some water mixed into it. The rubbing alcohol I see most commonly in the supermarket or pharmacy is 72% or 75%, which means that 25% to 28% by volume is water. That definitely won't mix with a petroleum-based solvent.

Back