Alternative to .32ACP pocket pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWM

For the days that I wear jeans and a tucked in t-shirt, I carry a NAA Guardian .32 in my front pocket. It hides quite well. I'd like a Seecamp but haven't ever seen one in person. Anyhow, here's my question.

Are there any guns (.380 or larger caliber) that come close to this miniature size? Colt pony is the closest I know of and is that a good reliable handgun? Could it fit into the pocket of a pair of jeans. I'd like to pack something larger than .32ACP, but when dressed this light, that may not be possible. I have a Kahr K40 for those days I wear a sweatshirt or jacket (Thank goodness winter is almost here!).

Thanks for humoring me, DWM

Assuming you are talking about guns that can be fired more than once or twice without reloading, the Walther PPK is about as small as it gets for a 380 or bigger. A Kahr MK9 is a little thicker but a lot heavier. Kel-Tec P11 might me worth looking into, or a S&W J-frame 638 or 342.

I LOVE my PPK/S.
After some quality time with a Dremmel - thing is sweet! Well - everything but the trigger... which isnt too bad.

I dont think I would move down to a .32. I did pack a .25 Astra Cub for a short while a long time ago. I wasnt comfortable with it. I alsway felt like "Well, it could put someone'e eye out... and its better than a pointy stick." Then I a got a Star .45 Firestar and was much happier.

I will second the knife option. A Ken Onion/Kershaw Black Out would be faster and more generally usefull that a tricky little .32 (yeah - I mentioned that knife cause I just ordered one :) My wife is going to KILL me!)

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited October 08, 1999).]

How bout a large rock?

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

the AMT back-up dao guns are pretty nice, esp in the 380 size.

the 45 back up is considarably larger (might as well carry a small glock. BUT its skinny, and the overall shape doesn't scream "gun"

On the downside its small gip makes the web of your hand vulnerable to the slide.

on the plus side its stainless, moderately priced and won't go off accidently in your pocket.

Dr.Rob

What is general consensus on AMT pistols? I saw an AMT Backup 2 (.380) for $200 at my local gunshop, half the price of my NAA Guardian .32. Also very close to the same size. Are they reliable? I'd rather carry a reliable .32 than a questionable .380. Thanks.

DWM

oops. posted twice accidentally. :)

[This message has been edited by DWM (edited October 08, 1999).]

The AMT back-up sucks.

If you want a pocket sized pistol, you might look into a Bond Arms Texas Defender, www.bondarms.com . I would recomend getting one in the same caliber as your full sized carry pistol. I.E. if you carry the Glock 22 like I do, then you would want to get a 40 S&W Texas Deffender. That way both pistols shoot the same ammo, which means less ammo to buy.

I have a .380 PPK . It is a nice piece and fits in a back pocket ok . The problem is the weight ( 21 oz unloaded ). It is noticable .

I also have a 380 Colt Mustang Pocketlite . It is smaller than the PPK and at 12.5 oz empty almost unoticable in a rear pocket . Single action design causes a problem for pocket carry because cocked and locked is an awkward and agruably unsafe way to carry a gun without a holster . With a round in the chamber and the hammer down the firing pin safety is disabled and Colt claims this is unsafe .

The Colt Pony pocketlite is about the same size and weighs in at only 13 Oz empty . Double action only solves the safty concerns but it had perhaps the worse double action trigger pull you will find on a quality gun.

I carry the Mustang Pocketlite with a round in the chamber and the hammer down . Choice seems to be risking an unlikely AD verses carrying a gun without a round in the chamber .

I carry a Taurus multi-alloy ti 38 special +p revolver, which fits well in the pocket, and has much more of a punch than a 32. I think revolvers carry better in the pocket than pistols, because pistols have that hard-to-conceal sqaure back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back