• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Alternative "General Discussion Forum"

sumabich

Rich and moderators, is there not some way to come up with a general forum that is not gun related? This one could be used for humor, total nonsense, and just general information. I have noted several frustrated TFL members of late who have had their threads closed and had an interesting topic. In the old days we had a lot of fun (not politically correct) trading insults. I will never forget Sensop telling me I would "smoke a turd in hell". I still get tears in my eyes laughing at his come-back. We all need to laugh more and I've been saving some of my best "sumabich funnies" for just this sort of thread! :D

I could see where that idea might spiral downhill fast.

Although you and I might be intent on keeping it light-hearted and funny, there are others that could just start using that forum area as a place to, "take this outside."

Remember when you were a kid at school playing dodgeball in gym class? It was fun and games to most, a little serious to others, and down-right personal to a select few. You know the latter, because he was the kid that was little bigger than you, and chucked the balls a little faster than anybody, at anybody, including the girls.

If you had a good blind open shot at him, you didn't take it, because he'd get up off the floor, turn to you, and say, "I'll see you out in the school yard at 3:10, and you better be there."

Because, you see, although we all know that it's just a game and know not to take a well-placed hit personally, there those out there that do not.

Now if you take that analogy and apply it to the discussions we sometimes get into on the forums, you can see where I'm going with this. To us, they're discussions, to others they're arguments, and to a select few, it's down-right personal.

Those select few would turn an Open General forum into an uncontrollable mess of personal insults, racial bias, and gender bashing. Hell, some are so intent on bashing others for their point of view that they try to squeeze a few of those insults into the current General Discussion, knowing the mods won't let it go by unlocked.

I just think what was intended to be light-hearted in nature could easily end up being the toilet of the TFL forums.

My $.03.

YT said it better than I could have.

It's not a "would" or "might" either; it actually used to be that way to some extent a few years back.

Personal messages are always another option over email.

Back