Alternate slug gun ammo?

ctdonath

As part of a legal research project, I'm wondering if there's any ammo practical & suitable for a slug gun (shotgun w/rifled barrel) loaded with something other than slug or ball. Thoughts?

The scenario is using a rifled shotgun for personal defense up to 100 yards, be it rural or urban, in house, car or fields/forests...and due to a legal quirk, you can't carry slug/ball ammo under narrow conditions. If not slug/ball ammo, then what?

Normal shot is impractical due to very rapid dispersion.

Target: perps.

(I'll post the mind-numbing anal-retentive details and background to this odd question when I'm more awake.)

[This message has been edited by ctdonath (edited October 04, 2000).]

Ain't any answer, CT. There's really no place for the shotgun, rifled or otherwise at 100 yards if slugs are a no-no. And 100 yards is too far for many shotgun and shooter combos.

Lessee,if I bench either of my serious 870s and use the slug of choice,I get about 2 1/2" at 50 yards. Double that for shooting under stress and double the yardage,we're talking about 10" and maybe more.

Can't wait to hear why the limitations...

Also, 100 yards self-defense? I'm as big of a supporter of the right to self-defense as anyone else, but the first question I'd ask of the shooter is why he felt the need to eliminate a threat 300' away, rather than retreating to a position of safety and calling the cops.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

I have an idea for vertically stacked pistol JHP in a sabot, fired from a rifled barrel. I believe this would substantially increase the distance one could reliably deposit multiple simultaneous hits from a shotgun. (I also think the downloaded, standard "Tactical Slug" can be easily bettered...)

Why this thread?

After pawing through the NY weapons laws, turns out that slug guns (shotguns originally manufactured with rifled barrels (stupid yet important legal point!)) are completely legal to carry _anywhere_ in New York State, including New York City (federal facilities and airport terminals excepted).

To reach that conclusion, I've written a lengthy anal-retentive legal analysis and posted it at The New York Special Gun.

The only serious catch with this novel discovery is that it is a misdemeanor to possess slug/ball shotgun ammo (even without a gun!) in fields/forests during deer season without a deer/bear permit. (A minor catch is that the gun must be unloaded when in a motor vehicle.)

My original question stems from wanting to keep a gun in the car at all times for basic preparedness reasons, and don't want to have to worry about all the restricted zones - zones where slug guns are oddly legal. I'd like to keep the sling stuffed with non-slug/ball ammo, yet ammo still practically usable in a rifled bore, for when I spontainiously grab a loaded backpack (with gun) from the trunk and take off into the woods, without worrying about ammo legalities during deer season.

The 100-yard requirement covers general-purpose, most-situations (fields included) concerns. Possibility is taking the gun on a spontanious hike, where defensive needs may exceed normal room-sized distances.

So, given that slug guns are unregulated in NY, and that slug/ball ammo is verboten at arbitrary times & locations, what slug gun ammo is suitable for general-purpose defense up to 100 yards?

[This message has been edited by ctdonath (edited October 11, 2000).]

I've wondered about strung buckshot. Would the string/wire stand the centripital forces resulting from the rifled barrel?

Tempting to pick up some exotic ammo (strung buckshot, chain, hollow cylinders, flamethrower, etc.) and try them. I am not optimistic about accuracy beyond room-sized distances.

Thanks, Carl. I admit I got about halfway through your thing on NY firearms laws and my eyes started to glaze over. What a bureaucratic mess!!

Strung buck might work, trouble is I dunno of any sources. Fletchettes might be an option, but research into these seems to be dead in the water, possibly from governmental disapproval. And, there's legal consideration against using handloaded stuff,and possibly the stranger stuff also.

Back