Altamont grip screw question...

TestedTwice

So I had a question about the pair of Altamont grips I put on my 686... The grips came with three screws of different lengths. The shortest screw stripped out after I barely tightened it, and the middle screw seems too long. The end of the screw is flush with the outside of the grip. Here is a picture of it.

It doesn't affect my grip at all, doesn't cause any discomfort whatsoever even with the tightest grip I can manage. It's purely a cosmetic annoyance for me. Is this a common thing with wood grips? Does this look ridiculous? Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone should really look into fixing the forum software that can resize these gigantic pictures.

This is the only forum I've seen that has this problem.

If you grind it down, first install a nut covering the threads.
It will protect the rest of the threads and help restore the threads when you remove it.
Or you could just install a suitable nut on the end as it is and avoid the grinding.
Should look ok with minimum fuss and bother.

You meed to get yourself a Dremel or,better yet, Black & Decker rotary tool and some reinforced cut off wheels. Simply cut off some of the length and then grind the new screw end to a slight taper so it will thread easily.

Well, I ended up stripping out either the grip or the end of the screws. The screws thread fine on the threaded side of the grips, but they just keep rotating when I put the grips together and try to install them. Now Altamont won't get back to me. Anybody have any alternatives? Any way I can buy new screws at the hardware store or something? Maybe a longer screw, put it through the grips, and thread a small nut on the opposite side?

The screws thread fine on the threaded side of the grips, but they just keep rotating when I put the grips together and try to install them.

This sentence is confusing. You state that the screw bites into the threaded side fine. But then when it goes through the other side and threads into the escutcheon nut it does not "bite" anymore and rotates?

Are you sure the screw is the right thread size. So it feels like it is threading but with pressure is not holding?

i have no idea how else to explain it. The screw seems to thread in alright when the grips are separate, but when I put them together, the screw won't take. It's like the end of the screw is stripped just enough to where it keeps turning but doesn't tighten. I don't know what to say. If anybody could tell me I'm doing something wrong, that would be awesome. :) I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. You put the screw first through the grip without the threads, right? Then thread it into the threaded grip on the opposite side?

From the picture you posted, it looks like the screw was too long, so that cancels out the idea that the screw will be too short to start screwing in.

Take a look at the actual threads on the tip of the screw. Are they clean or bunged up.

Which panel has the threaded nut. The left or the right.

Yes, you go through the one with the cup and then into the threaded on. Leave off the side that has the cup escutcheon and go into the threaded nut without the grip from that side and see if you can get it to thread.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said it threads without the grips together. I took off the one with the cup (left side when looking down the sights) and it threads pretty well. It does wobble quite a bit while it's threaded in, though. Could Altamont have sent me the wrong sized screw?

Yes, if it wobbles, it's too small. Once it goes in 5 or six turns, it should be solid.
The screw can be too small and fell like it's threading, but then when pressure is applied, strip out.

You can tell if the screw is too small by that it wobbles, and even when it strips, the threads on the screw are undamaged.

Most of these are fairly standard sizes, so take the panel with the nut to a true Value hardware store and see if you can find the right screw.

Could I use any old screw I can find for it? I wasn't sure if I needed the right material for the screw? For instance, a brass screw for brass hardware?

not that critical. You might get some reaction from different metals, but not enough in your lifetime!LOL. Purely cosmetic. Anyways, it will get you going and the grips mounted until you can find a proper screw.

If the nut escutcheon is damaged, you can use a hex nut in place of it. I've done this on many, many a grips. You file the 6 corners of the hex nut that is slightly oversized to the escutcheon hole, so that the hex nut is a little more rounded, but still has the six corners, and press it into place with a matching screw threaded into the threads. Use an old screw because it's likely to bend. Once you get it started into the hole, and it's square, use a bolt the same diameter as the countersink hole and lightly hammer the nut into place.

Yeah, maybe I should just stick to the Hogue grips I have? They fit my hand perfectly. What do you think? Stick with the Hogue grips or try to get a replacement set of grips from Altamont? The Altamont grips fit perfectly as well, so I'm a little torn.

Last edited:
"...software that can resize these gigantic pictures..." Yeah! Photoshop or the like. There are actually lots off free programs that work.
Most forums have software that will automatically resize large pictures.
Even this one supposedly limits the size of the files, but it never seems to work.

Back