Alox and Mica?

steve4102

I am lubing my cast bullets with Alox/Mineral spirits, sizing them and lubing again. They stay a little sticky and tacky after several days.

I have read that coating them with a very light dusting of Motor mica will take care of the sticky problems.

My question, How will this combo of Alox and Mica affect my neck tension. Will these bullets coated in mica be more prone to set-back, or no?

If they do not set back with alox on them, I do not see how adding mica will make any difference. I have routinely dusted with mica on all my cast bullets for years, both handgun and rifle cast bullets with no problems.
I do not use liquid alox however. I use NRA formula 50/50 in a lube/sizer.

Won't cause any tension problems. I take care of the sticky by rolling them on a rag with corn starch sprinkled on it, like when Momma had a rag with flour on it when making biscuits. GW :D

Won't cause any tension problems. I take care of the sticky by rolling them on a rag with corn starch sprinkled on it, like when Momma had a rag with flour on it when making biscuits. GW
Then there is the added benefit of the smell of fresh baked bread when you shoot them.

Change up some. Mix alox with Johnson's paste wax and add in mica. About 50-50 with the Alox and wax and cut it with mineral spirits just till if flows easy. Then add the mica. I tumble about 350 bullets at a time and I'm only putting in 1 tablespoon of mica. First though, I use the Alox/Wax mix without the mica then do it with the mica after sizing. Not sticky at all. Note that it will build up on your seating stem and has to be cleaned off periodically.

Back