Almost Screwed Up on the Range Last Sat

DennisCA

Last sat I went to my fav range with my son and couple of his friends (Bay Area CA) and along with several milsurp guns, I decided to take my muzzle-loading pistol:
qqsa.jpg

We got there late and I was in a hurry to get shooting, after a couple of rounds I decided to pull the pistol out. I should've run a dry patch or popped a cap or two remove any oil that may have been left over from the previous cleaning but I didn't.
I loaded it up, put a cap on and nothing - the cap went off but the powder didn't! To make a long story short, it fired normally - only after burning through about five or six #11 caps. The only other option would be to pull the ball, which I didn't really want to do at the range - thank goodness I didn't have to!
:eek:
A valuable lesson for sure, one I won't repeat for sure!

Something similar, I run a wet patch down the barrel of my T/C Hawken followed by a dry patch. Turns out I didn't get the barrel dry enough. I loaded it and same thing, no joy. Luckily after 4 percussions caps it hesitated with a short delay and fired. Lesson learned....

Unscrew the nipple.
Put a grain or two of BP underneath/gently tapped into the firing channel.
Put nipple back in.

It will fire. :D

It all came out. Thankfully you didn't have to pull the ball. Buy a stuck ball remover and if you have to use it, be sure it's pointed at a safe direction.

I think before I'd give up and pull a ball, I'd take the rifle home first, and dunk the whole thing into a tub of water for awhile, before putting my hand and/or body in front of the muzzle....no?

On the ride home, it will have to be pointed backward in the case in the car (sorry people driving behind me - better you than me! :) )

Jeez guys... just put some powder under the nipple and fire the doggone thing.
This is at most a two minute problem (even if you didn't put any powder under the ball at all) ;)

Well . . . at least it wasn't the other way around! :)

One time when I was at the Nationals at Friendship, I was on the line when we were given the go ahead to "snap caps" - you step up to your station and snap a cap with the muzzle pointed to the groun to make sure everything is clear as far as nipple, etc. A Kid (probably about 18) was in the station next to me and he stepped up with a TC, put the muzzle down and snapped a cap and BOOM! It kind of sounded like the 10 pound Parrot Rifle I used to shoot - scared the bejeebers out of me. The RO was there immediately and the kid had a red face, looked at the RO and said, "I guess I forgot to unload it after deer season."

I've been shooting for 50 years and believe me, what happened to you will happen to any BP shooter at some time - "all part of the beast". Just as straight-shooter said - I also "spit patch" and have experienced the same thing he did.

At some point - you'll probably "dry ball" it too - forget to introduce powder and put a patched ball in. Your concentration gets off and before you know it, you've got a ball down the barrel with no powder.

All the above are just good reminders to keep your concentration on what you are doing and we all need that once in a while. As already mentioned, one of the compressed air ball removers is a good thing to have in your range bag. The RO usually carries one with him on the line at Friendship and I've seen them clear a rifle in a matter of a few seconds. They work slick and like Murphys Lay - if you have one, you'll never need it! :D

Glad it worked out for you. That's a great looking pistol an I'm sure it is fun to shoot! I'll bet the kids enjoy going with you an those memories are something they'll treasure for a lifetime! Enjoy! :)

"I guess I forgot to unload it after deer season."

Oopsies.

Hey, that's one reason I like 'BP' season.... Unlike rifle season, even if you don't get a single deer, you get to shoot your rifle at least once. I always shoot a tree at the end of the last day.

We have all been bit, by this one !!!

I think before I'd give up and pull a ball, I'd take the rifle home first, and dunk the whole thing into a tub of water for awhile, before putting my hand and/or body in front of the muzzle....no?
That is entirely your call and all manufacturers have their suggested methods of clearing these. Just know that you do have "other" safe options. .... :)

There are many causes of Hang and Mis-fires. During our M/L classes, we always include the identification and how to react to them. However we do not teach how to clear them because of the liabilities. We are heavy into safety and you can get hurt, addressing this problem. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

bedbugbilly - My son's friends who was with us loved the BP pistol and I kept the powder charge at the low-end of the spectrum - I'm not that mean :D

Side note:

I did shoot it a couple of times (as well as my son) with near max bp charge: 40 grains - max is 45 grains). What a difference does that make! :eek:
Definitely a more noticeable recoil!
(Normally I keep at the recommended load 25 -30 grains)

Back