Almost out . . . .

Prof Young

Loaders:

I'm on my last fifty small pistol primers!

I think I'm starting to panic . . . . . .

Arrrrggghhhhhhh . . . .

Okay, I got this. Have three bb/pellet handguns and lots of ammo for them.

Whew!

Life is good.

Prof Young

P. S. I also have about 800 rounds of reloaded 9mm so . . . . . . .

Given that the industry doesn't see things improving until 2023 and knowing that these shortages are cyclical I can understand why the industry doesn't want to spend money to make more ammo, but why isn't the industry investing in expanding primer manufacturing to meet demand?

I mean, let's face facts here in that once primers are back on shelves I see every reloader eventually stocking up 50k primers before the next election.

Air guns are also going to be my backup. I will be buying an air pistol and rifle soon. No shortages there.

Yow, I’m down to a little over 6000 loaded rounds and about 4500 primers and I’m getting nervous. I’ve cut down to only 100 rounds a week and am shooting more rifle since I’m still pretty well stocked.

but why isn't the industry investing in expanding primer manufacturing to meet demand?

For the same reason they aren't expanding to "make more ammo".

Supply and demand, long term requirements. The "investment" would be worthless once the current demands were met.

It's no different than expecting car manufacturers to build more plants because there's a shortage of trucks at the moment. Different scale, but primer manufacturers aren't "raking in fat stacks"..

Eflguy is correct. They expanded during the last shortage and got skunked when demand fell off after the last administration was elected and gun owners became complacent. Forbes magazine said they weren't going to be lead down that path and get stuck with idle equipment to pay for again. Only if the demand increase proved permanent would there be an investment made in new facilities. Even with that, it took CCI eighteen months, IIRC, to get their last new primer lines up and running, so don't expect an overnight increase in production.

The good news, as of the middle of this year, is that huge numbers of new first-time gun owners have been added to the rosters during 2020 and that is continuing in 2021 which increases gun owner political clout. Additionally, Winchester's president said COVID has sparked a large increase in shooting sports activities as people have been looking for things to do outdoors that don't require close contact with other people. His opinion is there will be a long-term permanent demand increase, and Winchester is now adding new equipment. It just takes a while to get it all up and on line.

Some of the local shops are starting to stock primers again but the price is up there 10cpr to 15cpr.
I picked up some online for 7.5cpr but by the time they put shipping on it was 10cpr.

Primers are starting to show up at retail. Sportsmans Warehouse near me has had them a few times in the last 2 months. Last time I was at Scheels the employee said they've had Large Pistol primers on the shelf for about a week. Granted they were $70 per thousand... They had just got some small rifle magnum, and they were priced similarly.

Make a few calls locally and see what you can find. If they don't have anything in stock, ask when the best time to check back is. My Sportsmans Warehouse gets trucks on Sunday or Monday. Calling monday night or Tuesday morning is the best time to check and they are holding prices around $40 to $45 per thousand. I had to play the same game back in 2013 when I started reloading. I've got a decent supply, but it's nice to be able to restock some even if $45 is double what I was paying 3 years ago

I guess I musty live in Nirvana :confused: Most of the local mom and Pop here have varying small selections of primers on the shelf and the Sportsman's Warehouse is getting shipments in every couple of weeks now

A week or two ago BR4's were on one of the major internet sites for over 24 hours before they sold out

I hear that copper is in short supply and that contributes to shortages of primers, cases and jacketed bullets.
I have found primers at smaller gun shops and some of the big box retailers. Suggest check out small gun shops outside your immediate area.

I've been seeing regular CCI primer (all sizes) at some of the "local" shops here in central PA.
Usually for sale by the pack. Limit 2 per customer.

I have not seen any match primers in a year.
Ditto for ANY Federal primers, match or otherwise.

I'm still trying to get answers from the ATF about bringing primers down from Canada for personal use, since i'm headed up there soon anyways.

Back