Almost: Canik TP9 Elite SC

GarandTd

I almost purchased a Canik TP9 Elite SC the other day while checking in at the LGS. It would have been a rushed impulse buy so I took a step back to do some research, gather some info, and get some opinions.

Sooo, those of you with experience with this model, tell me what you think. I may not agree with your opinion, but I still value it.

Before Covid I saw some really great sale prices on these and would have bought one, but just couldn't justify another 9mm coming home with me. Good pistol but you'll find there are haters out there.

I've got other Turkish handguns. That alone is a deal breaker for many. My only 9mm is a duty sized pistol. I'm interested in something more concealable, but still capable of higher capacity and comfortable at the range.
The biggest complaints I've seen are weight and width. Those are real concerns, especially considering that my current carry piece is a diminutive RM380.

I'm not seeing any pre-Covid prices now, but this one was still listed under retail, locally, so no shipping or significant transfer fees.

It is the widest handgun on the market.

It's a copy of the Walther PPQ SC. Literally. The Walther sear/firing unit went off copy right a few years back and Canik was the first to copy.

That said, the PPQ SC is a better deal (in my opinion) in every regard and costs the exact same. Metal treatment is Tenifer, actual coating is real/not cerakote paint, smaller/thinner, grip material feels nicer on the Walther, and if name means anything (and it does) it's a Walther with a lifetime warrenty from Walther USA.

I've owned every model of the Canik TP9 series but the TPSFX and the Elite SC. The Walthers do it better and in this case the PPQ SC is the exact same price.

The Canik TP9SF ONE was the best deal on the market when it was priced at $265 as the ONE is marketed as the cheap version of the already cheap TPSF.

Now with current prices, I don't think Canik has much going for it over the VP9/PPQ/P99

I repeat these lines a lot, but I do have experience and pictures to back it up my assessments :)

I agree that the One series are less expensive, however they come with less. And while the Walther does have the name and history, they just aren't available in the shops around me. I don't sell or trade my firearms, so resale or collectabillity are not much of a concern. I could argue that the M&P 9mm compact is probably a good(if not better) option at the same price, but I don't see them around my parts either.

Did you have any problems with Caniks that you owned? I know there was a voluntary recall on at least one of the models.

I have two caniks, a TP9SF and a TP9SFX. Both are great guns. They are reliable, accurate and have excellent triggers. That said I wouldn't buy the TP9 Elite SC for a carry gun. As wild cat mccane said they are a fat gun even though they have a short barrel and grip.

Looking into some other sub compacts, the Canik isn't the only fatty out there. It may be the widest, but it is by 100ths of an inch, if it is. The Sig p320 SC comes in at 1.4" wide as does the Beretta PX4 SC.

I have had no issues with my Canik TP9SF Elite in about 2,900 rounds. Very reliable, accurate, very good factory sights, and a great trigger.

This pistol is going to be part of my journey. It may not end up being the destination, but that's ok. I put it on layaway yesterday. The shop owner told me she'd stash away a couple boxes of 124gr practice ammo for me. I'm looking forward to getting it home.

They are wide as was pointed out, but I will probably get one someday. I was all ready to buy one a few weeks ago, but they also had a TP9SFx at a really good price, and that’s the one that went home that day.

Back