Alligator, Elephant & Ostrich

HKguy9

Besides Mitch Rosen and Rafters, who else makes exotic dead animal holsters, namely elephant, ostrich and alligator? I am looking for a complete rig (holster, magpouches and belts), not just the holster.

Does Milt Sparks make their VMII (apparently the highest regarded CCW holster) in any exotic dead critter besides shark?

The Rafters' skin looks pretty but I wish they had more designs for their holsters, i.e. a straight-drop holster and straight-up double magpouches.

Mitch Rosen's web page seems to show just shark and cow, but the image on the front page shows a little more, but I can't find it on his page.

I've seen a Sparks Summer Special in elephant before; but I also know that there are some pretty strict bans on importing elephant products so I don't know how/when it was made.

If you find anybody who does do elephant; please let me know here because that stuff is beyond tough.

Erich -ha - I want a spotted owl skin holster myself, with decorative inlaid snail darters. Glad you ain't buyin a live animal holster. :D

Lou Alessi does all of these (contact him via email link on his website www.alessileather.com).
These "exotic" leathers are only a thin external laminate over another more stable leather (horse or steer, the latter referred to as "cowhide"), of course. The holster isn't made entirely from any of these leathers, so it's really just for appearance' sake. In a CCW holster, this means it's really for the owner's satisfaction, of course, since nobody else should be seeing the rig most of the time. Still, I'm sure most of us find a certain amount of enjoyment in the way a nicely-finished rig looks, even if it's covered up most of the time. Best.

P.S. For a bit of humor, check the thread about using Ostrich Labia leather for holsters in the Holsters forum of www.pistolsmith.com

just be careful

The wife got suspicious when her damned (oops..) wonderful cat disappeared and I suddenly had this new, white, fluffy holster...:D

So, don't let the holster appear too quickly after a pet disappearance....:p

Back