All the Pretty Bullets!

Prof Young

Loaders:
I was surfing through Midway reloading stuff just to see what they had in stock and found these. 115 lead with a synthetic coating that is supposed to be easier on a barrel than other things. The on-line reviews were positive. Including shipping and tax I paid just under two bills for 1200, or about 16 cents a bullet. This is about 5 cents more per bullet than I'm used to spending, but given the prices of off the shelf 9mm these days . . . .

Anyway, the instructions said to expand the case a bit more than "normal" and Federal included a formula card so there is no scrambling around looking for formulas for syntech bullets. Gotta love that.

I haven't shot any yet, so I'll get back to ya on that.

See pic below.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Attachments

• Pretty bullets.jpg
    Pretty bullets.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 150
Coated lead bullets have many benefits: less smoke, no leading, avoiding the waxy goo of traditional lead bullets.

I have been shooting coated bullets from brazos with good results for mere 6 cents per bullet. If I'm paying more than 10 cents per bullet it's gonna be plated or jacjeted

Coated bullets are very popular these days. The Federal Syntech is the first major factory offering since the old S&W/Federal Nyclad.

There are DIYers applying powder coating.
Many manufacturers use the Hi Tek coating from Australia.
Other coaters use their own formulas, as I assume Federal is.

I've loaded Acme Bullet Company NLG coated 9mm and 380 bullets. They were accurate and clean shooting. I won't be ordering any more.

You do have to adjust your bell, opening a little wider. I'm not the most experienced loader, but it seemed I had to bell my cases a lot and I still would get some left over shavings at the end of a reloading session and I was uncomfortable with that. For what they cost, I can get plated for the same price or FMJ for just a little more and I don't have to center them perfectly when seating them (single stage press setup for me). With plated or fmj, I can load more rounds in less time.

Edit to add: I just checked current prices and Acme's NLG coated bullets are much cheaper. Still, I'd rather not reload them.

Last edited:
Back