All original S&W 1917?

vanfunk

Hi folks. A local shop has an S&W 1917 in what I would regard as 95% condition. In fact, it looks so pristine for an 84 year old gun that I'm questioning the veracity of the piece. It has a few small dings and has clearly been used, but hardly to the extent that a "trench gun" should appear. The barrel rollmark and other identifying info seems clear and crisp, and the edges don't appear to be rounded too much. Is there any way to tell whether or not the piece has been reblued? The grips appear to be original. It also came out of a large estate collection, containing a number of NIB pieces, so I'm under the impression that the former owner was a legitimate collector. It's being offered for $450. What do you think? I'd like to take the piece for $400-450, but I might offer less if it's been reblued. Thanks in advance for your help!
vanfunk

An old reblue can be very difficult to detect. The fact that the gun is in great shape doesn't surprise me. Many of the 1917's by Colt and Smith didn't see really hard service. A friend of mine has his grandfather's 1917 Colt, issused to him in 1918. It appears to be in 98-99% original shape. He knows for a fact it was never redone.

Even taking into account the wear on the S&W 1917's that went over with American servicemen, it doesn't sound too surprising. American servicemen didn't fight in the trench wars nearly as long as the British and French. And more troops kept coming over, during the final months.

As a country, America wasn't in the war that long, especially when you take into account the time it took to mobilize meaningful quantities of troops.

Command staff doesn't exactly see rough field conditions, compared to the rank and file.

Remember, too, that a LOT of these guns NEVER even made it out of the United States. Production continued after the war and into at least the first several months of 1919.

Are the military markings on the gun? There were commercial versions of the gun made and sold after World War II called the 1917 Army.

If it is actually one of these guns and it's only $450, SNAP IT UP. :)

Not a bad price.. if you like it buy it. :)

My 1917 Colt was an old re-blue and recall that 1917 army revolvers saw service in ww1 and 2 and many were sold off to NRA memebrs through the DCM. Also MANY were sold to the brazilian govt, put in service and re-sold back here. Any aresal gun has a good chance of being re-blued, re-timed, re-barreled etc.

On a Colt each part is serial numbered (in addition to the # on the base of the grip) on the inside of the side plate, the yoke and the frame.. if all your #'s match you know the gun is more or less original. You may also want to look for additional importer's marks on the gun.. look it over closely. Look at the stampings.. are they 'filled in"? if so its a good chance its a re-blue. Original grips are a rarity, be careful on those.

BTW a heavily used SW or Colt can easily garner a $400 asking price at a gun show in Denver so the price sounds right.

The fact that the markings are sharp is one indicator that it is probably not a reblue. Too many times unless the person doing the reblue is carefil they will round the edges of the markings. Some people do not care, even more people do not notice. But this is a major pet peeve of mine and one I will call to the attention of the "gunsmith" if I see them doing it even if it is not my gun.

Thanks very much for your input, guys. I'm going to take another look at it tonight after work. If it "speaks" to me, I'm going to take it home.
vanfunk

Back