All current makers of double action revolvers - 2016

Radny97

Simple like the title says. Please keep it to double action revolver makers. Here's my attempt at a list. Please feel free to add to it.

Smith & Wesson
Ruger
Dan Wesson (CZ)
Taurus
Charter Arms
EAA
Rock Island Armory (Armscor)
Rossi
Chiappa
Comanche (are they still in business?)
Kimber (maybe, still haven't seen th K6s yet)
Manurhin
Korth
Nighthawk

Seems like a too short list. Am I missing anyone?

Other than Colt and perhaps some Spanish knockoffs, I can't really recall that there were all that many DA revolver makers back 40 or 60 years ago.

In the USA I think everyone only thought of Colt or Smith and then along came the upstart Ruger with its Security Six and at the time the novelty Dan Wesson.

Nighthawk isn't a mfg of revolvers in my view - they are acting as a distributor/importer for Korth ( so the Korth - Nighthawk revolvers bear the name of Nighthawk now...which is sacraligious in my view ).

I don't know if Korth will continue to import guns into the US under their own name ...or will just deal with the joint venture thru Nighthawk.

The topic of whether you would buy a Korth revolver bearing Nighthawks name was discussed a while back on the forum...I'm in the "Definitely No" category.

I believe RIA now makes a DA revolver.

Just a bit of info on them, RIA began making revolvers in 1970 with the introduction of their M100 chambered in 22WMR, and they've been producing revolvers ever since. Their two current offerings chambered only in .38 special.

Here are a couple of oddballs. I have never seen either one.

Revolvers from India Ordinance Factory were described in this article on thetruthaboutguns. I think these are still manufactured.

And this article from gunsamerica claims that a limited production of new guns will be done under the Webley name. However, it is not clear if these are really being built. I previously saw a website with prototype photos of these, but I think it may have been taken down.

If you are only looking for firearms that have been sold in the US, then probably neither of these counts. But India Ordinance Factory does appear to have some actual manufacturing in India.

It really is surprising how little manufacturing of revolvers remains. At one time they were made in a great many countries.

Does Uberti make a DA Colt Lightning/Thunderer copy?

I don't know if a cap-and-ball Star copy counts on your list, either, but I think Pietta and/or Uberti do that one.

From what I can tell Uberti doesn't make a DA revolver.

I sure wish Astra was still in business and making its revolvers. That was a cool design.

There was some talk about one of the Italian makers doing a Colt DA clone. So far I've seen nothing more beyond a blurry pic at one of the industry shows.

Back