All BS aside, what is your favorite rifle/scope combination for...

Dogger

Eastern whitetails?
Mule Deer?
Elk?
Moose?
Pronghorn?
Sheep?
Shots over 300 meters?
Shots in heavy cover?
Impressing women at the range?

Thanks! :)

Deer. Savage 99 EG .300 Sav. with no scope.

Groundhogs. Rem. 700 in .243 with Leuopld Vari-X III 6.5x20.

Don't do any of the others, but I would probably use my .243 for Pronghorn, my .30-06 for Mule Deer, and I would likely get a .35 Whelen or a .338 Mag. for Elk.

Eastern whitetails: Winchester 94 .44 mag w/iron sights.

Shots over 300m: Remington PSS .308 w/Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X40 LR M3 mil-dot.

Heavy cover: T/C Contender .45-70 w/Bushnell Holosight

Impressing women at the range?!? Women seem to like my Browning HP 9mm.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

For your first seven question, my old pet '06.

Heavy cover? If you're talking stuff that might bite back, I'd want something short and handy, no scope, lots of "Oomph".

At a range, I'm not out to impress anybody. I'm either trying to become more skilled, or make sure I haven't lost any skill.

:), Art

Eastern Deer/Bear
Marlin 336 .35 Rem
Elk/Moose/Heavy Cover
Custom Mauser.358 Norma
300M/Pronghorn/Sheep/Mule Deer
Ruger Number One 7mm Rem Mag

Remington .270BDL with a Leupold 1.75-6x32 used it on everything except Brownies and Africa. Always a Nosler Partition in 130 or 150 grain.

My Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag has performed flawlessly in taking moose, sheep, caribou, blacktail deer...several at over 300 yds. This is all Alaska hunting mind you...can't comment on the Lower 48....

My black lab Hali says it impresses her to no end :)

Savage 110 .270Win. topped with a Sightron 3-9x42 does the trick for me out here where the whitetail and muley range overlap and you just might be shootin at either. I've taken it elk huntin, but haven't been after any of the others. Would use it for sheep or pronghorn. Moose? borrow my old man's 30-06, I've shot it more then he has. Would maybe go out to 400 with my rig, but haven't even tried targets over that (I don't take long shots if I have any doubts). Heavy cover? for deer huntin I'd take an open sighted .30-30 '94. I have used my .357 to take a doe at about 10 yds in heavy cover, and have also used my .270 to take a buck at about 20 in the thick stuff.
Like Art, I don't shoot to impress other people.
bergie

Eastern whitetails? Remington 700BDL in .30-06 for all American game except the big brown bears.

Shots over 300 meters? Remington 700PSS w/Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X40 LR M3 mil-dot

Shots in heavy cover? Remington 700BDL in .30-06 again or Remington Model 14 in .35 Remington.

Impressing women at the range? Honestly, whatever gun I put down to pay attention to what they are saying. ;) :D

Deer, Winchester XTR Featherweight in 308 with a 1.5x5 Leupold VXIII on top.

Target to 300 meters, Remington VLS in 308 topped with a 3.5x10 Leupold VXIII
k

remington 700 3006 4x power scope nosler 180 gr partition.second most recent favorite rem .308 4x swarovski with 168 gr nosler balistic silvertips

I've used a .25-06 Ruger M77 for about the last 10 years here in Texas, before that it was a .243 Savage M99. I have Simmons 3X9 on Ruger. The Savage had a Tasco :o . I mainly hunt whitetail and hogs with rifle. If I get a chance again this year to go out to a friends place in far west Texas for mulies/possibly elk, I'd like to pick up a mid-priced .30-06.

Haven't ever had a chance at pronghorn, but I'd use the .25-06 no problem.

I don't believe there've been moose in Texas since the Ice Age, so it's a moot point :) .

The only sheep I would get to hunt here in Texas are those nasty aoudad
barf.gif
. I don't hunt 'em.

At the level of practice I get with the rifle , I won't try a shot at 300 m, 200 yards is about my limit. If I could get the practice, I'd still use the .25-06.

[This message has been edited by ckurts (edited June 09, 2000).]

Back