Aligning Your Laser on Your Shotgun?

BlackWorksInc

Dsiclaimer:

First off, I know most of you guys are mostly plain Jane, KISS, whatever you want to label yourselves and frown mostly upon "Tacti-Cool" add-ons; that's fine and I understand that and respect that. Point being this thread may not be for you just to be forewarned. If you're fine with the disclaimer, then lets not waste any time.

~
I'm not on this forum as much as others and honestly it has more to do with lack of anything to really write home about, but I respect many of your opinions and do seek information from time to time.

I own a UTAS UTS-15 Shotgun or "Shotty" (Just to rile you geezers up :rolleyes:) I liked the design, it suited my needs and wants and performs flawlessly for the year I've had it so far and what little issues did come up UTAS USA was more than happy to correct. The gun comes with an optional integrated Light/Laser combo; wasn't really too crazy about the laser I really wanted the light more, but hey it came as a package deal so why not use it anyways which brings me to the purpose of this thread...

Reference Picture:
Screen-shot-2011-03-25-at-8.07.21-AM.png

For those of you who DO own a shotgun with a laser, how are you guys sighting them? Are you using a parallel to the center bore of the weapon or are you picking a distance at which to create an intersection? I did about 50ft but I really don't feel as happy with it as I would like; the laser is only about 1.5" from center bore of the barrel so I'm thinking I may set it up parallel and make a mental note the round will travel 1.5" higher than the laser. I'm just curious what you guys are doing?

I'd say it depends how you plan to use the laser. Personally, I'd see its use more in a home defense situation. At that point, I wouldn't want to have to think about any hold overs. I'd sight it in for closer use since I'd likely only be using the laser inside. You may have different range needs or ultimate uses in mind, but that's my thoughts.

Slugs or buck? Distance to be used most? As mentioned above, for HD distance, versus protecting the cattle in the pasture, you will want to go accordingly

Thinking probably between 50ft-100ft really, any closer than that seems a waste. Normally shootin' slugs at my local range because of their recent policy change on shotguns, but I have some 00 buck I stock for use.

Back