Alien Gear vs Comp Tac vs Crossbreed Holsters

Fusion

Years ago when I needed a good IWB holster it seemed like almost everyone recommended the Comp Tac or Crossbreed holsters. I decided to go with a Comp Tac MTAC and I've had no complaints. It's durable, it's comfortable, it holds the gun well, it's just wonderful. The gun does get a lot of finish wear, but I'm pretty sure this would happen with any holster. Years later I still love this thing.

Well, it's time for me to get another holster. I got a new gun and the leather on this thing is wearing, so I figured I'd get a new holster instead of a new shell. Today I'm seeing a lot of positive things for the Alien Gear holsters, and the price is very tempting to me. However, I've also been burnt on buying holsters just because of the price and I don't want to do that again. Is the MTAC still the way to go, or is the Alien Gear just as good for half the price? How does the Crossbreed fit on these days? Is it still one of the top choices? Or are there better choices than all of these?

I have three Alien Gear holsters and have been very satisfied with all of them. All are IWB holsters for various guns. Customer service is top notch. Oh, free shell swaps if you get a different gun.

Take a look at Black Arch (formerly SHTF Gear). Clay is my customer and I have yet to return the favor since I haven't bought any holsters in quite a while. I still am using my CBST and have no complaints.

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/

18879147_457397464610956_6431575339482218496_n.jpg

I like my Alien Gear 3.0. I will say that it came with loose screws everywhere, so I locktite'd them and tighten everything down to where is should be for retention. The 3.0 has neoprene backing, so it can get a little warm on your body, but so is leather. No noticeable wear/tear on the gun using the holster. Retains well, but easy to draw from.

I have all three brands for different guns and I like them all.

My MTAC is probably the most well-built, stable and sturdy of the three. Alien Gear is the most comfortable. For the price, it's pretty hard to top AG holsters IMO.

I have a horsehide belt slide holster from Crossbreed (owb), quality is top notch. Alien Gear has great prices though. Check out Foxx holsters too.

I've not tried AlienGear. I have a Comp Tac that I bought from a guy on here years ago that I really like. I've also been thinking about getting another holster, but I think I'm gonna go with these guys next. https://n82tactical.com
Their design seems way more comfortable for here in the hot Phoenix area and I like how it is supposed to protect your gun from your sweat as well.

AlienGear does look good too.

I'll vouch for n82tactical; hands down THE MOST comfortable IWB holsters. I've got two of their professional series; one for my Kimber Micro 9 and the other for my Kimber Ultra II.

I wear them all day at 3:30; sitting standing driving.. pushing the mower around the yard. No undershirt required; direct against the skin. The full size backer keeps the safeties and grip panels from rubbing my love handles raw.

I've got an Alien Gear for the Ultra II; won't be going back to it.

Just received an Alien Gear IWB for my Kahr CT40. Wore it one day and am seriously considering returning it. Today I'm wearing my MTR Leather IWB with a CZ97B. The MTR is much more comfortable, takes up less belt length and feels lighter than the Alien Gear, even though the 97B weighs twice what the little Kahr weighs. Conceals better too.
My advice, look at MTR Leather. Cost more but all leather and sooo comfortable.
On the good side, the Alien Gear belt, with metal inner band is great. Highly recommended. AG customer service is great too.

I've got two hyrid IWB holsters, for two different guns. I have a Theis horsehide, which is out of production due to horsehide supplies drying up, I think. It's a good holster, every bit as good as my horshide CBST, IMHO. I used it for several years, then switched carry guns. I got a CBST in horsehide for the new carry gun and have used it pretty consistently for about 4 years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either one of those companies if I were back in the market.

That said, I've been watching the Stealthgear ventcore for when the time comes to replace my CBST.

I don't have the ones you are looking at, but I have three of the holsters others have recommended. I have a Foxx for my SIG P250 Compact, a Theis for my P290RS, and a Black Arch for my CZ P01. I haven't carried my P01 outside the home yet, but I've tested it at home and it is quite comfortable. It seems very well made. I am a fan. Out of the Foxx and the Theis, I much prefer the Theis. Out of the three, I don't know if I like the Theis or Black Arch better yet, I'll know after the Black Arch gets more use this summer.

I've been very happy with my Alien Gear IWB holsters. I cannot recommend their OWB options, though. I had their Cloak Slide, and it just didn't get the job done. The belt loops on the back of it were too loose and allowed the holster to flop around a bit.
If you do get one of their IWBs, I recommend choosing the metal belt clips over the plastic ones. They don't cost anything extra, and they make the whole setup far more stable.

Crossbreed Supertuck:
The holster that started all the hybrids. Good quality. Metal belt clips can be hard on belts. Single-layer leather and muzzle sticks out.

Alien Gear:
Low cost competitor. Single layer material. Polymer belt clips adjusted by holster having 3 different holes instead of the polymer clip having adjustment holes. Material is oversized forward and aft resulting in unnecessary "flop". Flop can be removed by cutting holster down forward & aft and moving screws closer towards kydex shell. Polymer belt clips can be replaced with MTAC adjustable clips. Picky users should perhaps pay more and look elsewhere.

Comptac MTAC:
Good quality. Polymer belt clips with several adjustments. Double layer leather. Protected muzzle. Not floppy.

I personally would pay extra for MTAC.

I have used all 3 extensively and my thoughts are:

MTAC is the most comfy, crossbreed is probably second. I hate the leather squeak of both of these.

I prefer the Aliengear 3.0 in warm weather as the neoprene (or whatever) is more pleasant when I'm sweaty, which is nearly always. I mostly carry in the aliengear these days.

I will say that 2 of the spare shells they sent were bad molds and poor fit for my guns, but with the return anytime for a new shell for no charge deal they've got, it wasn't the end of the world.

Back