Alessi or Rosen for a P7/PSP??????

JKnight

I trying to pick a good holster for concealed carry of my P7/PSP. The two holsters recommended the most are the Alessi CQC/S and the Rosen ARG. Which holster is better for concealed carry?

Haven't gotten up the financial courage to try the Rosen. LOVE my Alessi CQC/s. I wouldn't pretend to have an opinion that one is "better" than the other but I can think of two areas of difference which may be considerations for CC.

1)
The ARG is an IWB holster while the CQC is on the belt. This is a significant difference. IWB carry typically offers greater concealment. OTOH some people, myself included, find IWB to be a drawback simply for issues of comfort.

2)
Slimline ARG + ARGM (magazine carrier)= $245
CQC/S + single pouch = $125
Difference of $120 = 1 case of 9mm FMJ for practice.

Just my $0.02

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

Let me jump in on this one...

I own both the ARG and the CQC (not S).

In terms of most versatility for CONCEALED
carry, the ARG would probably win since
its IWB and will allow you to conceal
under even a light shirt.

That said, I really like both, but for
different reasons. My CQC rides high and
close. I consider it an outstanding
design for an OWB holster. In fact, if I
had to choose one design for all my OWB
concealed carry needs I would likely go
with Lou's CQC.

The ARG is,hands down, the most comfortable
IWB I've ever used. While I personally
don't like the extra "stuff" inside my
trousers, the ARG is as close to comfor-
table as I've ever used.

Don't have any experience with an Alessi but I've carried my 1911 with an ARG for 4 or so years and am completly satisfied with it. Carried with it from shorts & T to Suit and everything in btwn.

Yes Mitch's gear is more expensive but my ARG still looks new (broke-in but new (i.e you get what you pay for).

If you go with Mitch's I recommend you also get one of his belts to go with the holster. The belt/holster is a "system". I've got both a tapered and regular belt.

Another thing you might look at is instead of getting a mag pouch get an SOS (Speir Off Side). It is a mag & Surefire pouch. IMO... never leave home w/o Pistol (in ARG) and extra mag and Surefire (in SOS). The light might come in handy some lonely cold dark night when you have reason to have your gun in hand.

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited May 24, 2000).]

Holster, belt and mag pouch.
$400.00 or $200.00
For the same quality.
What was your question?

[This message has been edited by Sod (edited May 25, 2000).]

I've carried a P7M8 or M13 since 1986. I've used Hellweg, DeSantis, Alessi and Ernie Hill leather scabbards and IWBs. My MD Labs kydex is much faster. Obi-Wan (Louis Awerbuck)carries uses kydex only, after a very nasty situation with a best quality leather IWB rig. Louis is one of the greats and if it works for him, I'll use it. I wear a safari vest year round for concealment.

Rob Con,

Interested in your comment about using the MD Labs kydex for your P7. Given the odd balance of the pistol, does the kydex do a good job of holding the weapon in close to the body? Any particular differences from leather carry (aside from speed of presentation of course)? Would be very interested in hearing your impressions.

By the way, just got home from the local IDPA match. I have been shooting a Glock 19 from a Fobus holster. My buddy shoots the same gun with the same rig and we almost always finish within 0.99 of each other (he's faster, I'm more accurate). Tonight I shot my P7M8 using my "slow" Alessi CQC/S. I beat my bud by more than four seconds. Me thinks I didn't get better overnight. That P7 and its unmoving barrel might just have something to do with it.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

[This message has been edited by jawper (edited May 25, 2000).]

The M13 is kind of butt-heavy and it is noticeable with any rig. The gun is NP3 finished and very slick so the kydex lets go fast. I wear a 1.5" belt, either Ted Blocker or Wilderness Instructor. Both are quite rigid and keep the holster tight to the body.
Leather gets wet with persperation and tends to weld itself to the gun so I went to kydex. Anything that can go wrong will, at the worst possible moment. Rob

Back