Alert....New E-mail virus on the loose

DMSC...

Yes, if you configure your e-mail program to ask for confirmation before opening attachments.
Its a smart thing to just take the extra manual click to open an attachment.

Basically, do not allow your e-mail programs to automatically open attachments ......stick to manual operation

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

This Virus is a HUGE problem for companies... specifically MICROSOFT, it hit MS in Redmond VERY HARD... Also it targets saved files for MS WORD and EXCELL, and destroys them.
Nasty little critter this one... as not only does it kill YOUR files, but it will seek out all the files you have access to - meaning network drives as well... and so on and so forth.

VERY NASTY... DONT OPEN ANY ZIPPED FILE as the name of the file changes too!

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

MCI has been massively infected; my coworker and I are going nuts trying to stomp the damned things.

Frikkin' virus writers. Die, you scum, DIE!

If you think about how important computers are in our world, who poses a greater threat to the stability of society -- a computer virus creator or a bunch of law abiding guns owners?

Just got word that this virus has hit some large companies in silicon valley that I consult for. Be very alert with email attachments and downloads until further notice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coinneach,
Now dont hold back tell us how ya really feel...lol...
smile.gif
....fubsy....but I second it...fubsy.
MCI has been massively infected; my coworker and I are going nuts trying to stomp the damned things.
Frikkin' virus writers. Die, you scum, DIE!

Considering how Bill Gates, Inc. brings bug-infested software to the market for us to purchase and debug for him, at OUR expense, I just don't seem able to feel much sympathy for the richest man in the world.

Fully agree, however, with the proposed solution of stomping virus writers into small greasy spot.

If you have McAfee VirusScan, McAfee has a fix for this beastie available at thier website. (norton probably does too, but I didn't check there) FWIW, Egghead had McAfee on sale for $24.95 after $20 rebate.

If you have the bad luck to have been bitten, here's a manual procedure for removing the worm:
Manual Removal of this worm
Win9x-
Run the System Configuration Editor –
Select the Start menu from your desktop and Run SYSEDIT.EXE
2. Select the C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI window.
3. In the line run =, remove the listing run=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\EXPLORE.EXE
Select File > Save, then Exit.
4. Select the Start menu and Shutdown -
Choose Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode;
Click Yes. (This action purges EXPLORE.EXE from system memory.)
5. Once your PC is in DOS, type EXIT to return to Windows. (This action reloads Windows without EXPLORE.EXE in memory.)
6. In Windows, remove the file, EXPLORE.EXE, from your system -
Click Start > Find > Files or Folders;
In the Find: All Files dialog box, type EXPLORE.EXE in the (Named) field;
Click Find Now;
Delete EXPLORE.EXE
WinNT-
In Windows NT, this worm runs as an "explore" process in WinNT Task Manager. You may experience high CPU utilization prior to ending this process.
1. Run the WinNT Registry Editor -
Click Start > Run > Open REGEDIT (not REGEDT32).
2. Locate the hive [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows].
3. Highlight the following key "run=C:\\WINNT\\System32\\Explore.exe" and remove by pressing the Delete button.
4. Restart Windows NT -
Click Start > Shutdown.
Select Restart and click OK. (Your system will now reboot.)
5. Remove the file, EXPLORE.EXE, from your system -
Click Start > Find > Files or Folders;
In the Find: All Files dialog box, type EXPLORE.EXE in the (Named) field;
Click Find Now;
Delete EXPLORE.EXE

FWIW, my wife works for Computer Associates, and they too, have been heavily infoected. As of Friday night, she said they had found a fix and apparently a means of recovering the wacked MS files. I'll try to find out more and post the detail here on Monday. In the meantime, don't open any zipped files & stay safe. M2

I appear to have jumpd the gun. There is no quick fix for this bug after it has struck. Although most files can be recovered if you act immediately after becomming infected, the steps required are beyond the aveage user's skill set, and by the time they figure it out, it's usually too late. The virus creates a zero length file and renames it with an exisitng file name, effectively over-writing it (releases to old file to be over-writtten). Tools like norton unerase are useful, but only if you act immediately. An ounce of prevention, and regular back-ups seems to be the conventional wisdom once again.
M2

All:
I just received the following stale "hot tip" from my ISP:
((quote))Virus Alert!

"IF YOU RECEIVE A MESSAGE WITH THE FOLLOWING IN THE BODY..

Hi Recipient Name!
I received your email and I shall send you a reply ASAP.
Till then, take a look at the attached zipped docs.
Bye

AND AN ATTACHED FILE, DO NOT OPEN THE FILE ATTACHMENT AS IT
CONTAINS A VERY DESTRUCTIVE NEW VIRUS."

More information on this virus and how to protect yourself
against it can be found at; http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/worm.explore.zip.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And, ZDNet put out the following press release about a French
e-mail virus; http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2271326,00.html

More information on this virus and how to protect yourself against
it can be found at; http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/prettypark.worm.html

Thank you,
GVTC Internet
((UNQUOTE))

Back