Alcohol patches during cleaning.

cowboys1062

Im not sure where alcohol patches fit in when cleaning your bore? Does the alcohol act as a cleaning agent by getting rid of residue and old oil from the bore? Is it used as a drying agent once the bore is cleaned? During what steps would you use alcohol patches? I never used alcohol patches and am curious to know. Will it take oil out of the bore? Respectfull, cowboys 1062.

It works real well as a light degreaser. The good thing about it is I have never heard of anything that it was harmful to use on. It even works well on sensitive electronic equipment. Years ago, if I remember right, it was the only thing G.E. recommended as a degreaser on their 2-way radios. You don't have to worry about breathing it or getting it on your skin.

There's different types of alcohol.
Some have water in it and others have oils.
The best cleaning version is from the hardware store, not the grocery or druggist.
And it's handy if you cut yourself on those sharp edges, too.

Cleaning my bore prior to loading !!!

The best cleaning version is from the hardware store, not the grocery or druggist.
Exactly and may go by the name of Denatured Alcohol. I use it just before I start loading. It removes most of the oils and grease that are in my bore. It dries the bore rather nicely, evaporates and leaves no residue. ..... :)

Im not sure where alcohol patches fit in when cleaning your bore?
Where did you read this? .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Its part of a regimen for storing the bore oiled with modern petroleum-based oils, for rust prevention, but removing them because of the "tar" problem & adding "bore butter" (or something similar) for firing lubrication.

I use 99% isopropyl (or 70% as rubbing alcohol) in a pump spray bottle to dry off the water based solvent used for cleaning. The alcohol prevents rusting by drying everything off. We have a lot of rain around here. If I'm putting the guns away for a while then I oil the chambers & bore.

Denatured Huh? I learn something new everyday. I have been using the alcohol wipes that make their way home in my wifes scrubs when she comes home from the hospital to clean the chambers of a revolver, the barrel, and the barrels of rifles prior to loading. They work great because they are precut and handy. I will pick up some denatured next time I'm in the hardware store.

The alcohol swabs from the clinic are usually 70% isopropyl alcohol. Denatured alcohol is ethanol (grain alcohol) with chemicals added to make it non-drinkable (maybe methanol/wood alcohol) and quite toxic. If it weren't undrinkable there'd be a huge liquor tax on it.

Unless you buy it at a liquor store, all alcohol is "denatured." All that means is that poisons have been added to prevent the alcohol from being consumed.

Alky

I use alcohol patches regularly. I carry a tin of saturated patches in a small tin when hunting the uplands.
At the range, I run an alky patch between shots.
Pete.

Unless you buy it at a liquor store, all alcohol is "denatured." All that means is that poisons have been added to prevent the alcohol from being consumed.
That's true of alcohol that could normally be safely consumed. There are alcohols like isopropyl which are poison to consume even without any denaturing agents added.

Alcohol

Been using just plain old everyday Rubbing alcohol ( as we call it) since the 1970's to clean my Black Powder weapons.
Dollar tree has 70% for a dollar.
Walmart and such has 90% for about $1.50.
The 90% I feel works better.

My rifles and revolver are all traditional.
Wood and metal. No plastic to harm.
Out in the field and the range, you don't always have hot soapy water, to clean or swab down with.
But you can always carry a small bottle of Rubbing alcohol with you.

Denatured alcohol won't hurt a thing. In fact, it's 1/3 part of a BP cleaning solution that is used by many and has been for years.

By volume . .
1/3 denatured alcohol
1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap
1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide

This solution should be kept in a dark container such as what the Hydrogen Peroxide comes in to prevent break down over time. A lot of folks swear by it and it does a great job.

By volume . .
1/3 denatured alcohol
1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap
1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide

Yup, that's what I was taught as a field cleaning agent for use in N-SSA shooting for cleaning in between rounds, but I have been since warned against it as the hydrogen peroxide is harsh on wood.

I still use it as I am using up the big stock I made but will eventually switch to Ballistol cut with water.

Steve

I have been using this 3-part solution on my guns. I also use Ballistol down in the works.
There isn't need to get much on the wood.
Peroxide may be hard on wood but so is boiling water.

There isn't need to get much on the wood.

You just have to watch when you are running patches down the barrel in between events. The tight fit causes excess juice to get squeezed out and run down the barrel into your forestock. I always keep a towel handy.

Peroxide may be hard on wood but so is boiling water.

We don't keep kettles of boiling water handy during matches. ;)

Steve

Back