Alberts 38 cal 158 gr lrn info needed

427rules

Inactive
I recently acquired 5 boxes of Alberts swaged lead pistol bullets in 38 cal. They are 158 gr. LRN. I'm trying to find loading info from anyone experienced with using them, I understand the company has been out of business a long time, probably why I can't find much info. I shoot with older s&w 4" and 6" model type revolvers and a taurus 8" 357 mag. I have no experience with swaged bullets and I've read they are soft and will lead barrels if not loaded correctly. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

If you can easily scratch them with a fingernail they're probably pure lead. Keep them around 800-900 FPS and they won't lead.

Use the same loading data that you would for the Lyman/Ideal 358-311. If you have a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook - the data should be in there. As Hawg suggests, keep 'em in the FPS range he suggests.

While hardness varies according to the alloy - a lead bullet is a lead bullet. Load one to the crimp groove and see what the overall length is and compare it to a loading manual. If the bullet seats deeper - then case volume is smaller thus increasing pressure so you need to adjust your load grain weight.

I shoot a lot of 158 gr. that I cast - RN, SWC - and I usually use Bulls Eye. All shoot just fine out of my vintage Smiths 1920 up through 1955 of various models) and my 1910 Colt Army Special. Normally I load them with about 3.5 gr. of BE but you could use less - check the minimum and maximum. All of my cast are tumble lubed in paste wax/alox.

Since this is a BP forum - if you load them with black powder - make sure you load them as a "compressed load". I normally use a 38 Colt Long casing as a measure with 3F which gives a compressed load when the bullet is seated. I just finger lube the bullet with my BP lube that I make out of beeswax/crisco but you could use SPG or similar.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize I was in the b.p. area, I'm new to using this, and still getting used to getting around in here.

No reason you can't use black powder instead of smokeless.
Your revolvers won't care.
See, now it's fixed and you're in the correct forum. :)

Back