Alaska Grizzley with .54 flintlock rifle

You kidding?

The .54 and .58 caliber Hawken rifles were developed specifically to deal with large game on the American plains, including buffalo and bear.

Mike,

One of the typical lines from users of modern inline ML rifles is that they do not think the traditional ML rifles can do the job.

This line of reasoning by inline ML hunters demonstrates their sheer laziness in not wanting to learn how to shoot a traditional muzzle-loading rifle as the traditional guns have been getting the job done for hundreds of years.

The shooters of modern inlines are the kind of hunter where a 20rd box of cartridges for their modern .30 caliber deer rifle will last them a decade. It is to this clientelle that the modern inline ML rifles were invented by manufacturers.
The slobs wanted in on the primitive firearms season and thus manufacturers created the inline ML rifles. This inline ML fad will only last until the slobs can find a legal loophole that will let them bring their modern cartridge rifles into the primitive firearms season.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got it all figured out there, Salt. Actually, after reading and re-reading the above post, I don't think there's a true statement in it at all; except that traditional muzzleloaders have been getting the job done for hundreds of years. Your attitude is not worth, well, Salt. :D
Technology has come a long way in the last hundred years. Why shouldn't hunters and shooters take advantage of newer technology in guns and equipment the same way as we have in all other aspects of our lives.
Stop confusing MUZZLELOADER season with primitive weapons season. Hunt with whatever you want to, and allow others to do the same. If you are confident in your skills as a traditional hunter you shouldn't be worried about what the other hunters are carrying. Some of us are into DEER hunting, not necessarily Rifle hunting, or Shotgun hunting, or Handgun hunting, or Muzzleloader hunting, or Bow hunting. I've used all of these methods to take deer in my life, and I'll be damned if I'll be called a lazy slob just because your way is slightly different than mine. Try and follow me on one of my deer hunts and you'll see just how much I WORK at the sport which is my passion!

Salt is right, the muzzle-loader season was created for the primitive weapons.

If you have to have a modern weapon, then get a modern cartridge rifle.

Back