Alabama Pistol Permit

Bandg

Inactive
First post,but an avid reader of this and some other gun forums. I have gotten back into guns after a few years off. A buddy from church told me how easy it was to get a permit. Monday I went to the Sheriff's office and filled out a one page forum with ss#, drivers license#, character references etc. Today, 2 days later, I receive a notice in the mail that my permit was approved and is ready to be picked up.:D It will be valid for a year and cost $10. Alabama is backwards about some things, but very much pro gun rights. The reciprocity agreements are expanding in the south and I am pleased to get this permit. Just thought I would share what I learned from this site and my friend that helped me take this step. Regards, Bradley

Congratulations. I'm in Jefferson County so my permit is a little bit cheaper...$7.50 last time, but it was a breeze to get the first time. And welcome to TFL.

If 'Bama doesn't cover all the South you need, get a NJ Out Of State permit. It covers what other states don't. Just fill out the application, send a copy of your home state permit, and enclose $20.

You guys are in economical (started to say cheap) counties to be permitted. Elmore County is $20/yr., but then I suppose people in some of the U.S., namely California, Cook Co., Ill., or NYC would not mind that cost at all.

In Alabama the permit to carry concealed or in your car is called a pistol permit. On the back it tells the states that offer reciprocity and instructs the police to seize the permit if the holder is involved in anything more than a minor traffic stop.

Permits are handled through the county sheriff's office and are valid for one year. They don't send out a notice for renewal and you are required to come in and pay your fee prior to expiration. If out of state, I would contact the sheriff's office and inquire. They were very helpful in my case. I'm glad that I took the time to exercise this right. Haven't carried yet, am working up to that. Regards, Bradley

You guys are in economical (started to say cheap) counties to be permitted. Elmore County is $20/yr., but then I suppose people in some of the U.S., namely California, Cook Co., Ill., or NYC would not mind that cost at all.

The $7.50 price in Jefferson County is a campaign promise Sheriff Mike Hale made and has kept as long as he has been sheriff. It went up to twenty at one point, I think, but now it's right where it needs to be...costing just enough to cover the material and labor.

I wonder if I can renew mine out of state.

Don't see why not. I get a notice from my sheriff each year that mine is about to expire. Regardless, when yours is due just send them a check with your Ca. return address. No law against that.

Back