Alabama non-resident purchasing

bcrash15

I have asked questions about this before, but due to recent law changes I am asking again, trying to get some clarification on the law if anyone has any insight.

Situation: KY resident trying to purchase long gun in AL.
Law: Alabama recently repealed their adjacency requirement for state of residence to buy a long gun, i.e. you no longer have to live in AL or a bordering state. (§13A-11-58)

HOWEVER, according to multiple FFLs I have talked to, KY residents still can not buy guns in AL. They do not know why (just talking to the guys running the counter), they just have a list that says KY is part of a handful of states that cannot buy guns in AL. I have not found any legal justification that would support that claim in the wording of the law or otherwise. I'm totally in the dark on this one.

Could it possibly that Ky. has a law that says a Ky. resident can only buy in Ky. or adjacent states...

Brent

Well, that's appears to be it. I had never even considered that possibility, but some searching on the topic turned up a forum where someone said that Kentucky has a contiguous restriction on it's own residents to buy long guns. This is surprising to me considering KY has otherwise very lax gun laws in just about every area. I sort of find that law questionable, i.e. one jurisdiction regulating what can be bought and done in other jurisdictions. I mean, sure your home state could ban certain firearms outright or regulate who they sell to, but restricting their residents to only buy legal items to a certain area has always seemed kind of strange. But at least now I know. Thanks for the help!

Some states wrote their laws in a manner that mirrored the federal law of the time. When the federal law was changed, the state law still remained in effect.

Back