AK SBR

grizz223

Hi
Guys I have never done any NFA stuff before but for some reason I want to get a AK pistol and make it a SBR. My question is how difficult is it and how long on avarage does it take to get the paper work back? Does the CLEO need to sign it? Don't really forsee the CLEO as a problem but I live in a different county than i'm a deputy in so I don't think my sheriff can sign it. Anyway thanks for any help you can provide.

Venom
Thank you for taking the time to post that link but it was not what I was looking for it only answered questions about what happens after you get the SBR. I'm looking for the process of getting the SBR. I know there is a 200 tax paid to the BATFE. but not how to go about it.

Anyway thanks

You can get it done as an individual if the Sheriff in your county will sign off. But the drawback to that is that you must be present for anyone else to use the SBR.

In a Trust, you are free to designate trustees who can use the firearm without you being there.

The Trust (currently) doesn't require a CLEO sign off. And it doesn't require Photos or fingerprints. (Currently)

You would buy the AK pistol, then submit a "Form 1" or ATF 5320.1

You would pay the $200 Tax Stamp, then wait until it comes back before making your AK Pistol into a SBR.

You would engrave the receiver, or barrel with your Name, City, ST or TRUST NAME, City, St.

Then you could put a stock on your pistol and it would be an SBR.

The paperwork itself is pretty easy. You can even do it online now. www.atfonline.gov

If you're concerned about getting the paperwork right, etc, maybe see if there's any class 3 dealers in your area. They'd likely be happy to help you out a little more personally.

Granted, I bought a suppressor from them, but the one shop was VERY helpful with providing the paperwork and even had me come back before I sealed the envelope to make sure everything was in order.

I've got a manufacturer/dealer as well and was talking about an SBR myself and they were basically, "whenever you're ready come back in and we can help with the paperwork."

But really, it's not too hard, just nice to have someone experienced look over it so you don't have to wait even longer because of needed corrections.

rjrivero - pretty much summed everything up with the exception of time line.

As I type this BATFE seems to be taking about 8 months to approve the Tax Stamp paperwork, be it a Form 1 or Form 4.

And this is also whether an Individual purchase or through a Revocable Living Trust (RLT) if you choose to go that route.

Regards and welcome to the wonderful world of NFA toys.

Also be sure to read this thread of you are contemplating creating a RLT for your purchase.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531776

Lastly some tips here on how to legally make an SBR.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=31315

Rob

sorry i misunderstood I tossed that link because of what rob62 said about the rules changing and signoffs now applying to trusts.

Back