AK Muzzle Brake for AR and Mini-14??

Andygold

Has anyone shot either of these rifles with the AK brake installed? I've heard opposing answers to the following points:

Report is MUCH louder
Flash is MUCH greater
Accuracy is poorer

Does this item really reduce climb/recoil as advertised?

Was thinking of purchasing short AR barrel with brake permanently attached (making legal 16" length), as opposed to just buying standard 16" barrel

Has anyone shot either of these rifles side by side (with brake / without brake) so that you could DEFINITELY tell the difference?

Does pin-on style for Mini-14 (which lengthens barrel) increase report/flash signature?
Andy

Andygold, You ask an impossible question here! Which AK break are you refering to?
With any style break the report will be deflected somewhere, the flash will also go somewhere. Accuracy on the other hand should not be a problem. Where do you want these things to go? They will not go away entirely.

If you want a great shooter just get a post ban AR with a good crown on the end of the barrel and go for it!

Best to you, Hank

My experience is that depending upon design, he noise goes sideways, on the range we "banished" an owner of a Boss on a Browning .243W way over to bay #25!
(I have even had crows looking for me elsewhere when my vented and extended 'Hastings' Turkey-choke booms with a 3" mag 12GA from my hide!)

Do you really need a flash-hider/muzzle break?

Looks good though...

------------------
***Big Bunny***

And we would want a muzzle break for a gas-operated, low-recoil .223 rifle... why, exactly?

Perhaps a 10/22 would be the ticket to those too recoil sensitive for the AR or Mini-14... :)

Come on guys, give Andy a "break".
I put one of those extra long bells and whistles brakes on a short bbl. AR to make it conform. I bought it from a person who sold his carbine but kept his registered auto sear. yes folks this was real. I chose the brake that I got over the fluted M1A type and was well pleased.

Yes, I do have a Ruger 10 22 with a ported barrel as well. My 454 Casull is not ported.
I can't quite catch what is being said about the "wimp factor" here.

To displace recoil, energy will have to be redirected. Gas to the rear, up etc. absorbed or delayed by mercury, springs or what ever.
The energy will still be displaced.

Ever shoot in a duck blind with someone who had a Browning Auto 5 with a Cutts installed!

Hank

Gee.... I'm not recoil sensitive. It's that when I purchase the rifle, I have a choice of either AK style break, or just plain crowned barrel (both Bushmaster). Hey, given this choice, I'd rather be an educated consumer. I'm just trying to get some info before I buy a rifle with this brake (which is permanently attached). Obviously it does SOMETHING, or I do not believe Bushmaster would sell it. I'm just trying to find out what it does, and to what extent, as I said in my original post. I have heard opposing answers to my question, and the Bushmaster rep. was a little to "hoorah" for me, with his tales of his military experience. He also intimated that it was a "non-manly" device, yet would not or could not tell me what it's effects were.
Andy

I put a brake on my Mini....accuracy was unimpaired, recoil didn't change, wasn't any quieter...but it looks cool and I really like that starburst effect of the muzzle blast when night shooting :)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Oops! Sorry guys! Didn't mean to step on any toes. (Which, apparrently, are more sensitive than your shoulders...? :) )

I was just curious why you'd want to do it, and you answered my question. Heck, if it

(a) Doesn't interfere with accuracy
(b) Doesn't cause too much blast (my big worry)
(c) Doesn't cost any more,
(d) DOES scare the Rabbit People by looking MORE "evil,"
(e) Actually does help reduce recoil,
(f) AND helps protect your muzzle's crown (which it undeniably does),

....Then why not?

Your question is now put into perspective to me!

First rule of a gunfight: Have a gun.
Second rule of a gunfight: Win.
Auxilary Second rule: Cheat!

Andygold, the AK-74 muzzle brake was intended to reduce muzzle climb during full-auto, or rapid semi-auto fire. These are sold because flash hiders are illegal on post-ban rifles. They are not the same. If you don't do much rapid firing of your 5.56mm rifles, I think a 16" barreled rifle will do nicely. Even in rapid fire, the 5.56x45mm is not a monster to overcome. 7.62x51mm is another story. ;)

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Andygold,
Stay away from the AK brakes on AR-15 rifles IMHO. I have one on a 14.5" barrel and have regretted getting it. Long after the "it looks cool" factor wears off you will be stuck with a short barrel that robs the 223 of a hundred feet of muzzle velocity. Think about this way, what is the difference between a 30-06 and a 300 Mag. Just a couple hundred feet per second of velocity. If cool looks are more important than function (and there's nothing wrong with that) get the brake. If you want the most you can get out of a rifle of that overall length.....

I have an AK brake on my BM AR. As stated earlier:
1) it protects your crown
2) it DOES reduce recoil
3) when shooting in prone position no dirt is kicked up
4) in theory it increases accuracy
5) the flash signature seems to be lower as compared to my other AR's from my night time shooting sessions.
FWIW,
Hiker

Thanx to all who responded!!! I ended up getting the standard 16" barrel, with an A3 upper receiver. 2 other questions though. I picked it up for $850.00 new, and it came with the removable handle, and a hard plastic rifle case. Is this the way they typically come? I thought everyone charges extra for the handle/sight. Do Bushmasters normally come in a case?
Thanx again,
Andy

Back