AK mags for SKS?

Hammy

Can anyone tell me if there is or has ever been an adapter that allows use of AK detachable mags in an SKS manufactured for a fixed magazine. I've heard that there was an SKS version called "The Cowboy Carbine" set up for AK mags.

Yes there was... and I say WAS. I saw one at a gun show a few years ago, I figured Id' wait to hear how reliable the conversion kit actually was. I never did hear, and I never saw another one. Never Heard of the COWBOY SKS, but they did make a paratrooper carbine that took AK mags.... I passed up 1000 of those and have kicked myself ever since!!! Nothing wrong with SKS mags, but the AK system is much faster! I you find a para. SKS for a decent price, pick it up!!! You will have no trouble getting your money out of it later if you want to sell! Hope this answered you question!
CJB

I saw one back around 1990 in a pawnshop in Utah. It was a polymer brown junky looking thing. One piece went in front of the magazine well and one behind, allowing regular AK mags to fit between. The AK mag included with it were also a juky polymer.

I thought it looked like a peice of junk and didn't get it, determined to wait for the good quality metal version. My dumb mistake - bans, legislation, gun scares, and whatever conspired to the point this never happened. I've never seen another version of it or one like it since. I don't even know who made it or what it was called........

Wish I did buy it just to know how it worked. Even if it was a real POS, I have some buddys who would spend good time trying to reproduce it and make it work right.

Oh, well - hindsight is 20/20!

Back