AK episode of "Tales of the Gun"

Rob Pincus

"Tales of the gun" Jsut showed the new AN-9, anybody know anything about this latest incarnation of the Kalashnikov?

They also show the Saiga shotguns in action. I will be buying one of these after the new year, just for the novelty.

They were interviewing a guy from Izmash (sp?) for their episode on the Kalshnikov family of weapons. I wish I had seen the whole thing, but I am only catching the end...

BTW- I'll pay a decent bounty for a "Kalashnikov" brand bottle of Vodka (it has his picture and an AK on the label....).

------------------
-Essayons

The American Rifleman had a big article on the AN-94 this year. While it shares in common the magazine, folding stock, pistol grip of the AK74, it is an entirely new design by Gennady Nikonov. It's rumored that Kalashnikov hates it as it bested his son's entry.

The rifle was suppose to have an increase hit probability over the AK74 and to achieve this, the Russians believed that felt recoil had to be reduced. To achieve this, a blow-back shifted pulse design was used. It is a combination of being both a gas and recoil operated weapon with an extremely high cyclic rate for its initial two shot burst (1800 rpm) prior to settling to a slower rate of 600 rpm for sustained automatic fire.
The Russians claims that the AN-94 is a 150% more reliable than the AK-74 (mean round between failures 40,000).

MTBF of 40,000??? Wow!!

Now I'm intrigued. I want to take one apart and scrutinize the design.

I wonder how the manufacturing costs of the AN-94 compare to the Klatchs. Unfortunately lowest bidder is a powerful motivator for many.

Edmund

Give this site a try -- http://www.weapons-russian.com This is to Kalashnikov-USA-Ltd. They are the sole importer of weapons and accessories manufactured by Izhmash JSC...Bailout

Back