AK discovery....

MattP

Inactive
Today I found out that one of those recoil buffers and a scope mount/receiver cover from Norinco are incompatible. The recoil buffer will not allow the scope mount to lock into place fully. When I took the first shot with my buffered, scoped AK the cover and scope popped off the receiver, bounced off my forehead, and landed back on top of the receiver. As I took the recoil buffer off the recoil spring assy I felt a tickle between my eyes and found blood running down. Oooops. At least nobody saw it happen, that would have been embarassing. Now I have a almost verticle 3/4" line just above my brow till it heals and vanishes. I look tough now :) It didn't even hurt that much, oh well. Once the buffer was out it worked fine.

I've been using the recoil buffer in my SKS with the scope mount without any problems. I guess the AK has a different receiver cover mounting system. In the SKS, there is a pin which keeps everying in place. If order for that to fail, the whole receiver would have had to blow off doing a lot more damage than a smack in the forehead. Glad to hear you weren't damaged too badly.
Rome

In my Mak90, the recoil buffer caused failures to feed. I took it out, problem went away, felt recoil did not change.

I installed a recoil buffer on an SAR-1....no problems whatsoever.However...these come with a scope mount on the left side of the receiver....not on the recoil spring cover. Are you saying the recoil buffer is too big? Did you get the right buffer? Sometimes the cover does not seat all the way down...and will fly off.

Did any of you ever try the recoil buffer that prevented the carrier from slamming the FRONT of the action? I saw the add a few times in SGN. Seems to me like a lot of contraptions in a rifle designed to be as simple as possible.

Noban

Back