AK advice?

Getting into the AK for the first time. Never even fired one. Always wanted one on reputation alone, and seeing Haji clean it with motor oil and boot laces.....and keeps on shooting. Anyway, I've got a Sig Elite Dark 9mm and Springfield XDM 3.8 compact to put down on it. So add thise 2 together with a splash of cash maybe and what is the best $8-900 ish AK? I hear Arsenal, WASR (century), I.O. Im proficient with all my collection and was a combat veteran. I want a red dot co-witness with the iron sights and decent furniture. But would sacrifice all the bells and whistles for a better rifle. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Im divorcing a C308 for the AK.

I would recommend you pass on the IO. Plenty of info out there. The other 2 are both fine with the WASR being the cheaper one. I would also look at the
O PAP maybe the N PAP.

A MAK 90 would be a very good choice as would a Maddi if you avoid the Century Miser 90. Check out Atlantic Firearms for some nice choices!

N Pap is good and should be less than 9. While I don't have personal experience, DDI is generating a lot positive talk. They are gaining a rep for putting together a very good product.

I have the N-PAP. I bought it for around $650 new this year. It is my favorite rifle I've ever owned. It is really fun to shoot, easy to maintain, and pretty accurate for an AK. I don't think you'd be disappointed with that choice.

In the early 1990s, I purchased a couple k.b.i. Imported, F.E.G. Hungarian s.a. 85-m Kalashnikov rifles. I was a younger man and clinton was coming, so, out of paranoia I got more than one with the intention of using one up and going to the next. Well....twenty plus years, the others are still in cosmoline in my closet. Number one is still attractive....stately and well finished. Comfortable and accurate...for an ak, superbly accurate. And above all, 100% reliable. I've never compared it to similar rifles because I've never had to. I only have a few weapons in my arsenal that need no point of reference to obtain the "superior" status...say, my 1885 high wall....those guns just "do" for me. Such is the s.a. 85-m. My personal weapon of choice.

Can you keep the pistols and buy an AK? If not, see if you can trade 1 for 1.
I'm an AK nut but wouldn't trade in 2 pistols on 1 AK. I'm on a couple facebook gun trading forums. I bet you could find someone on there to do a 1 for 1 trade against that Sig or XD.

I like the Romanian AKs. The WASR-10's have a come a long way.
If looking at a used Romanian, here's a good website with things to look out for. Read the section about barrel cant.

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/model2.shtml

Note Barrel Cant can be found on all AK's. It was a little more prevalent on early Wasr-10's.

My 1st was a Romanian SAR1, followed by a Bulgarian SLR95MB. The SLR moved on but the SAR1 stayed and was added to by a couple 4 home builds:
25698221145_42b9c9fea7_b.jpg

Plus this fun little Serbian M92 AK pistol:
21216580739_1e74c59cba_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back