AK-47 - Brass damage?

William Iorg

Inactive
Hello, I have lurked on this board awhile this is my second post.
I have been loading some low velocity 7.62 X 39 ammunition for a bullpup AK-47 that wears a suppressor from John’s guns. I do not have a lot of experience with the way brass is treated by the AK-47 action. The cases pictured were new Winchester cases loaded with 12.5 grains of IMR 4227 and the 175 grain Sierra JHPBT bullet and gave us about 1,237 fps. This load cycles the action with no modifications, the cartridges feed well and they provide acceptable accuracy at 25 and 50 yards. The intended use is to cull feral hogs and this bullet just happened to be one of the first tried for functioning.
As you can see the cases are dented up near the shoulder. Not shown in the picture is a small nick on some cases lower down the case body which raised a sharp burr and a small dent on the rim caused, I assume, by the ejector.
Steel case surplus ammunition fired in this rifle does not exhibit as “severe” damage. Steel cases do have a lesser dent on the rim. Brass military cases do have the same dent up by the shoulder but it is much smaller. Both types of surplus cases have the dent on the rim.

Has anyone experienced similar problems with case damage from the AK-47?

I am also loading Lee 155 grain cast bullet ahead of 5.0 grains of Alliant Bullseye for 1,100 fps. While these loads do not fully cycle the action they are both accurate and quiet. The most noise coming from the action trying to cycle and then returning to battery.

Attachments

• Damaged 7.62 X 39 Cases.jpg
    Damaged 7.62 X 39 Cases.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 524
The AK has a violent extraction process, so dented cases are to be expected. If you think you've got it bad, try reloading for a G3.;)

Yeah, I have noticed that the cases get messed up pretty badly. I own a Romanian kalashnikov and of course it isn't full auto like I would like it to be, but I have noticed that the ejected cases are pretty banged up. Luckily I don't have to worry about reloading. :D

I've seen one of my AKs do that before but only in association with a malfunction. If it's functioning fine it might not be a problem but, personally I would think if it's doing that something isn't right. If you're worried about it I would clean the gun really well especially the gas tube and port and maybe change spring in one of your mags and see if that clears it up.

AK's chew brass, plain and simple....

As stated above, the AK has a very violent ejection. Upon extraction, the case gets ripped from the chamber and slammed into the fixed ejector causing the case to do a just short of 180 degree turn and smashes the upper neck of the case into either the bolt carrier, charging handle, or side of the receiver, flinging it out a mile away from the rifle at seemingly 200 miles/hour, inbetween 1:00 and 3:30:eek: :D ...

Yep, that picture shows the tell tale signs of a Kalishnikov's chaotic ejection...

Still 2 Many Choices!?

Back