Airsoft Training

TylerD45ACP

When I cant get to the range or just for fun about every day I practice with a gas airsoft 1911 similar to mine. I practice all kinds of drawing, firing on the move, mag changes, follow up shots, multiple targets, etc. Usually no more than 30ft. I was wondering what you guys thought about this. I know it doesnt come close to real practice however I have been drilling and trying to make my actions reflexes. When SHTF your reflex training will take over and thats what I want. (My brother [H&K USP] and I actually go at it with proper face protection, to test skills and it adds stress.) Any thoughts on this?

Not a bad idea

I've definitely seen some youtubers (limalife) try it out. I know some PD's in my area do training with airsoft.

No kidding, ok thats cool. Imo, I think it is a good idea. I just wanted feedback from TFL guys. Thanks Ambishot and keep the opinions coming.

Several classes I've taken reinforce the lessons learned on the hot range by using the Airsoft against each other in Force-On-Force drills and scenarios.

You get to see what works on the 360* range vs what cannot really be accomplished on a square range.

I agree smince. When my brother and I go Force on Force you can feel a rush. These gas guns sting especially at really close ranges and you know you've been hit. He and I practice drawing on eachother, such as he is the BG in another room who walks into the one Im in and starts acting like a robber. I then try a draw and shoot accuratley at him. He counts 1 or 2 in his head after he enters so its realstic and he doesnt just walk in and shoot me :). I have noticed in certain senarios with him that my fine motor skills decreased, (I doubt anywhere near a real SD shoot) however I got pretty amped up and I think its good practice for the stress factor and reflex action.

I think it's importatnt to identify which training carries forward to your primary weapon and which does not, and focus on the training that is productive in that regard.

I know that practicing with my pellet pistol definately helps with sight picture, breathing, grip and trigger squeeze. It also helps keep the muscles in my hands and forearms in shape. But for example, I don't practice drawing it, or practice taking the safety off quickly, because its too different from my H&K, and training that way would not carry over to proficiency with my H&K.

I think training with pellet pistols, Airsoft, and .22 cal pistols is often under-rated.

I think good training can be had from these things if people are careful about how they train.

Lots of training now uses Airsoft. FOF has to be well designed to avoid just being Cowboys and Native Americans.

They can sting and break the skin.

There was a kid from Japan who practiced there primarily with airsoft, came here and did real well in IDPA, I think. However, I heard he wasn't that safety conscious.

Thats too bad, I treat the firearm as if it were a life one. Techinally it is it just fires plastic bb's. However, I still follow the gun saftey rules. The FOF I try to design to the best of my capability. I dont have enough people to do it with or space but with what I got I think I do pretty well. O I know they sting bad sometime, you know you've been hit :). I like that aspect though. I think it can be useful as you said Glenn if applied properly.

Try to play bad guy as well as good guy.

If you only play the GG, you only get half the picture of what's happening.

I play the BG as well. We switch off, but that is a very good point made. I think I play a pretty good BG and do a bunch of things I think people would do. It is quite easy to fool someone who is not used to it lol. You are right though you want to fool them into learning.

I think that there is some value to incorporating airsoft into some training but overall it should be limited.

I say this because it can quickly narrow your tactical thinking. Lines between what is true “cover” and concealment become nonexistent with airsoft. As we all know, under stress we will revert to our training. If you condition your mind to duck behind nothing more substantial than a piece of plywood “playing” airsoft you are likely to make poor choices when it matters. In addition to this the limited range of possible engagements encourages sloppy movement habits that will get you killed in an actual encounter. I know it’s fun to play airsoft but if you intend to train then you need to take care to control the scenarios so as to be within the realm of reality.

No I agree I try and duck behind things I would really hide behind. I try to make it as realistic as possible, thanks for the input. I think it is helpful but your right about certain aspects of it.

I say this because it can quickly narrow your tactical thinking. Lines between what is true “cover” and concealment become nonexistent with airsoft. As we all know, under stress we will revert to our training. If you condition your mind to duck behind nothing more substantial than a piece of plywood “playing” airsoft you are likely to make poor choices when it matters. In addition to this the limited range of possible engagements encourages sloppy movement habits that will get you killed in an actual encounter. I know it’s fun to play airsoft but if you intend to train then you need to take care to control the scenarios so as to be within the realm of reality.
I would say that Airsoft/FOF works best in those less-than-seven-yard situations CCW's are likely to find themselves in.

Seeking cover will take lower precedence than solving the immediate problem you have been presented with.

It does have it's place in a training environment. My department has done a few airsoft training days for active shooter training and it gives you instant feedback on where your rounds are going.

FOF and expansion from my last post...

Glenn, you're absolutely right about the FOF training. My experience with airsoft training is very regimented and scenario based i.e. active shooter, hostage etc. The bad guys have to fall when hit and react as if in real life and the LEOs have to keep going even when hit. (I help a PD in their Rapid Emergency Deployment training) They take it seriously though...in one instance a senior officer got shot and subconsciously reacted as if really being hit by a live round. He fell back due to surprise (he wasn't acting to fall down). It is that degree of seriousness that must be involved with any form of training.

The other aspect of training that proves vital for CCW carriers usually deals with reaction time for threat recognition, weapons draw and then shot placement on the BG. Also, I'm sure that this form of training would help with people who are thinking of carry position and method of carrying (israeli style w/o one in the chamber vs. one in the pipe).

...and I was able to find the youtube video on airsoft CCW FOF training. It's by Limalife

http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife#p/u/12/syxrpLbaEuY

I go to the range to run drills 9 out of 10 weekends. The one weekend I dont is usually spend airsofting with some friends. We have a huge local scene. Say about 30-50 show up regularly. Its nice to do other things such as stalking and having to carry that weight in a scenario situation.

Really makes you aware of how fake hollywood is.

LOL, no kidding Hollywood is rediculous. Something we all know, people can jump and while flying through the air meticulously plant a 9mm in the Heart or Head :eek:. Real life is ALOT different.

Back