airsoft pistol for target pratice

They're toys and have no resemblance to shooting a real firearm. If you want to practice inside, either join a club or get a decent air pistol. Air pistols require the same sight picture, trigger control and breathing techniques a real pisto does. Consider that air pistol shooting is an Olympic event. Air soft toys are not.

Does anyone use a airsoft pistol for target pratice indoors. If so which one do you use.
Don Clifton

Don,

At my club most of the people that shoot air pistol are shooting 10meter competition, and they're using air pistols that cost as much or more than their regular guns. I've never heard anything good about airsoft, except it probably won't hurt you when you get shot with it.

So far, the best buy I've come up with is the Russian-made IZH-46M, which sells for about $300 at Pyramid Air. It comes with right handed grips, and I'm left handed. If the l.h.grips went an additional $190, I'd be on one already.

all the best,
Rob

Another low budget choice is the Daisey 747. Under $200. And while you may not be competitive with the Pardini's and Steyr's it's great practice without blowing the mortgage money.

The pistols you find at walmart or Dick's Sporting goods are crap. If you wanted to get decent practice with airsoft pistols, you will spend $150+. These have identical controls, some recoil, and decent power (for close range accuracy). The good airsoft companies are all foreign (read Asian) imports. Look for Western Arms, Tokyo Mauri, Maruzen, Marushin, KSC, KWA, or WE for decent ones. Western Arms, Maruzen, and Marushin are the highest quality makers, IMO.

I use a Crosman 1377 pellet gun in my backyard to practice trigger control. Inexpensive pump gun, no co2 to purchase.

Single shots can't do double-taps...need CO2/semi-auto.

If you can't afford the high-dollar replicas, cheaper ones are available that do somewhat approximate the size and feel of generic real guns (may have to add weight). Close range run-&-gun can be practiced in the backyard with a BB semi-auto pistol.

One of my friends has a decent airsoft 1911A1 that cost about $130, including 5,000BBs and one can of green gas. It weighs a bit less than a loaded 1911, but the controls are identical. It has enough accuracy to hit a melon sized target from just under 50 feet (we didn't dial in the hop-up, and were using .20g BBs).

I recently purchased a co2 airsoft M&P40 from coolgadget.net. This thing is a very good copy of my S&W M&P40 and fits my holsters perfectly. If it didn't have the orange barrel extension on it, one would be hard pressed to tell it was not the real thing from 3 feet away.

The ergonomics are very good, the mag release and sights are the same. However, the slide does not move. The weight is similar although the balance is a little different (slide is lighter). The trigger is about like a stock M&P trigger. Accuracy is better than I expected and the power is adequate to put the 6mm plastic bbs through one side of a cardboard box @ 6 feet.

My purpose for getting this is to set up close IDPA type stages in my back yard and practice target engagement and gun handling. I won't be doing any quick reloads that require dropping the magazine to the ground. The heart of this co2 gun it in the magzine and I don't want to mess it up.

I purchased a KWC M&P look alike for USPSA training. My sons and I shoot the M&P 9mm in the production division. We've found it useful for transition drills between targets and other drills we would normally just dry fire our real Smith's.

As far as accuracy - they are fairly worthless beyond 7yds. If you view it as simply a training tool with limited functionality - it can be beneficial.

I have a KWC 1911 look-a-like. As stated above, it's not accurate for any distance, but I just shoot it at boxes in my bedroom for fun:D Try www.airsplat.com for best prices I've seen. They have spring , electric, and gas operated weapons. I got the gas blow-back just for a bit of reality, a fun and cheap toy pretty much.:D

Well i don't know about training/practice but in college me and my four roommates all bought cheap $20 spring pistols and would just carry them around the house and shoot each other all the time. mini gunfights were happening constantly and the floor was always littered with bb's.

Probably not the smartest thing as we could have gotten one lodged in the eye or something but sophomore year of college isn't exactly when you're at your smartest

I just picked up a used Daisy 747 WITH pellet trap, two extra sets of grips (one left-handed, which is what I need) and three tins of pellets for $120.

I've been shooting bullseye .22 for about a year, so in theory, I know what the sight picture should look like :o

Here's the second five-shot target from my first 600 at 10 meters.

Daisy_747_on_3-17-08.jpg

This is going to be FUN, I can tell.

I wound up shooting a 501/600, which I suppose falls squarely in the "not too shabby" category, and I can't wait to try it out with some "real" target pellets; I shot this with Daisy MAXSPEED pellets.

My point is that you don't need to spend mega-bucks to get a reasonably competitive air pistol.

All the best,
Rob

Back