Airsoft legal question

chris in va

My friend just called me. Apparently they have a grouchy neighbor that simply doesn't like them. Their 12 year old boy got an airsoft pistol for Christmas and has been shooting it all over their backyard.

Seems the neighbor called the cops stating he was shooting at her house and/or pellets bounced off her house. The cop is telling her it is a "federal offense".

I told her to shut her mouth, don't aggrivate the situation and contact the LEO's supervisor, then possibly retain a lawyer.

Any other thoughts?

Such is not a federal offense. It is a question of local law. Some localities prohibit the discharge of BB and pellet guns within city/ municipal limits. Check your local laws as to their stance on pellet guns. many localities, especially in NC, are beginning to equate airsoft guns with regular old pellet/ BB guns due to the fact that many fire hard plastic pellets instead of just soft plastic pellets. If the local laws do not prohibit the use of airsoft pistols, then the kid can shoot away!

And if they do have an ordnance against BB/Pellet guns, go buy the kid one of the Airsofts that uses an electric motor instead of compressed air. :)

More on the developing drama...

Seems some pellets found their way on the lawn, then some kid threw them on the porch. That's all I have right now. Last I heard she was waiting to talk with the shift supervisor to find out exactly why the responding officer made the 'federal offense' statement when it clearly isn't.

More to come.

EDIT: Dead in the water. She couldn't get a hold of the desk sargent and/or he didn't call her back. No charges filed. I don't know what the LEO was referring to when he said that.

Last edited:
Perhaps...

Maybe the responding officer's "federal offense" comment was sarcasm that the neighbors weren't quite up to understanding.

Officer: "What's that, Ma'am? Your neighbors kid shot a toy gun at your house? Well, that's certainly a federal offense,....We'll get right on that!"

or not

Back