Airlines and Firearms Questions

Sportdog

I'm in the early planning stages of a hunt in Alaska and got to thinking that I know absolutely nothing about transporting my rifle on an airline. Is there a "standard" procedure that must be followed or do different airline companies have individual policies? If it is a standard procedure, could someone give me a synopsis of what I must do. What about ammo. I prefer handloading my own ammo. What are the regulations or procedures for that? Any information to get me started in the right direction would be a great help and very much appreciated. Thanks for any and all replies.:confused:

Alaska Airlines

try Alaska Airlines web site for most of the requirements. It no big deal thousands travel to Alaska with firearms every year. There are some specific regulations you have to comply with. And all airlines do not follow the same procedures on how they deal with checked firearms.

Visit TSA's website and print out the regulations regarding firearms. Generally it'll tell you that it has to be unloaded, cased, etc. Ammunition has to be either in an ammo can or in it's factory packaging, or in magazines (not rolling around loose).

Then visit the airline that you intend to travel on and get their policy printed out as well. When I flew with a firearm, that's what I did: I gathered all the info and made sure that what I did was well within their requirements. The whole process went very smoothely--I signed the declaration, they brought me over to the TSA area, they ran it through the scanner, and gave me the thumbs up.

Be sure to declare your firearm with the counter agent when you check your luggage.

And contrary to popular belief, it is 100% illegal to place any kind of label on the luggage that states that it contains firearms! So don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Taking Rifles North To Alaska

Key rules -

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
  2. Put clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in - on the case. The labeling should be limited to:
    • Your Name
    • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
    • Your personal email address - if you have one
    • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
  3. Check case at the airport. Have the rules for the airline in hand.
  4. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...v8&view=text&node=49:9.1.3.5.9.2.10.6&idno=49) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in, and if the TSA wants to see.
  5. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft to the airline, the FAA Regional Office, and the ATF Regional Office immediately.

Back