Airgun Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty_Handicap

I am looking into getting an airgun so that I can practice (handgun) shooting in my Los Angeles apartment, rather than fight traffic to get to the range so often. Can anyone recommend a good airgun in the $75-125 range. I guess accuracy and price are the relevant factors, as all I'm going to use it for is target practice. I appreciate any help you can offer.
PAR

I had a Gamo Compact for a while that was very nice . It is a Walther like target pistol , it shoots around 390fps and has a really nice adjustable walnut grip . I paid around $125 for mine . Good luck , Mike...

It's a little bit more money new, about 185 or so, but Walther makes a CP-88, a virtual replica of their 9mm P-88, in both fun and competition models. It's a great gun and tremendously accurate. The ammo is unbelievably cheap. I use one at my office in the middle of the day.

I have the RWS SigP225 lookalike. Like the Gamo Glock, well made and reliable. Its a DA trigger but it may be cocked for SA. I suspect that the same firm is making all of these guns. Bought mine from D&R Sports.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Try a Webley Tempest. Used ones are around $100 now; Beeman's is no bargain basement, but often has these available. New ones are maybe $140-$160. Cabela's has them at the low end.
They are good practivce arms though they do not duplicate the recoil of firearms. However, they force the same level of concentration in holding well and achieving good shot placement. Plus, they have really stiff but manageable triggers.
I thought such training was a bunch of hooey until I started practicing with my W-T over my Crosman CO2 pistol. It really does require more control on your part to shoot the former accurately. BTW, good MV, around 400 fps perhaps. My shooting improved quickly.
The firearms replicas may give you more familiarity for the feel of your gun, but if they're CO2 they won't provide the same discipline you need in a firearm. Of course, one of each kind would be very nice.
Some say the Beeman P1 is worth a look (used) but that may depend on the type of surrogate you require. Good luck.

If you want to practice double action revolver shooting, the Gamo R77 (CO2 powered .177 pellet revolver) is a good deal at about $70. The trigger pull and the gun itself are too light to really duplicate the "feel" of something like a S&W 686, but the R77 still delivers a lot of fun for the buck.

I have the Beeman P3. I think I paid $130 for it. It's a pneumatic (pump), so you don't have the C02 cartridge issues: cost, variable pressure, running out of cartridges, etc. It is very accurate. It has a great trigger pull. It has adjustable sights and a comfortable grip. I believe the muzzle velocity is around 400 fps. There is a lot of plastic in it, but OTOH it is light weight. I've shot many thousands of rounds through it in my living room. I give it a thumbs up. The only complaint I have is that the chamber is difficult to reach when attempting to load a pellet, but you get used to it.

[This message has been edited by Chuck B. (edited September 21, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back