air shot guns?

rmocarsky

Hello folks,

I live in a suburban area across the street from a vast school yard and my back yard has been a peaceful sanctuary for years . . . that has recently begun seeing rats. Yea RATS!!!!!

I was wondering if an air gun shotgun could successfully be used without the neighbors hearing it.

I am nocturnal by nature having been a night worker for 30 years and on the weekends I sit in my back yard late at night which is very nice except for the recent unwelcome visits by rats.

They scamper across my yard always on the same route and would be very easy to ambush within 10 yards and I never until now thought of using an air shot gun late at night to kill them.

Is this feasible?

Rmocarsky

I would think any of the new spring loaded bb guns would be plenty good enough for taking out rats. I know they are making large caliber air rifles now but the only one I have seen was pretty loud. A single shot would make it a Lil more of a challenge but good luck on finding what you want. Rat shot for a 22 really isn't that loud.

Boogershooter, yes rat shot for a .22 isn't that loud but it is still illegal. Air guns are not considered firearms and are legal in most areas even within city limits.

Shot

I have an smooth bore 22 air gun that shoots reloadable shotshells. For small critters very close (10 ft) it is ok. Beyond that, the pattern opens and the tiny charge of #12 shot is ineffective.

Why not a normal pellet in whatever caliber?
Air guns can come close to the speed of a 22, but usually with a projectile half the weight of a 22lr. By the time you add a shot cup I don't think you will have much in the small bore air guns. The large bore ones aren't quiet.

How big are the rats? I've seen rats I wouldn't want to anger with an airgun. Not in the US though.

A pneumatic air rifle can be adjusted so that the pellet is subsonic; coupled with the muzzle/break/suppressor, it can be very quiet.

Traps and cats and snakes all work well too.......;)

Sounds like a job for a Gamo Whisper (sold everywhere). And also sounds like fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Set a bunch of rat traps if you want to solve the problem.
Get a pellet rifle if you just want to play "hunter".

I have a gamo shadow express and I'll admit it's a lot of fun but the shells are almost the price of 12 gauge shells and I'm concerned about the future availability of new shells.

It would definitely get the job done but I'd lean towards an air rifle knowing pellets are cheap and always going to be available.

Gamo

I have a gamo shadow express and I'll admit it's a lot of fun but the shells are almost the price of 12 gauge shells and I'm concerned about the future availabilit
The Gamo shells are reloadable.

shells

The Gamo shells are reloadable........how many times? Hmmm. Lots. there is no crimp to weaken and crack. The pressures are low. There are no hot gasses. No primer to seat and expand the primer hole.
Very little wear and tear on the hull. You could probably reload them hundreds of times.
I have reloaded the ones that I have multiple times. No degradation noted.
Remember...these are of limited use. You are not gonna shoot Trap with them.
(I have tried. A foot operated Trap. No good.)
Nowadays there is an aftermarket .22 shotshell hull made of metal (as opposed to the plastic Gamo hulls)......probably last longer than you or I.
Easy to lose? That is a function of the shooter's care, not the hull.
Pete

Last edited:
I've seen another solution that didn't involve projectiles.

My uncle ran a copper wire about 2" off the ground around part of a grain silo, then wet the ground down around the wire. That night the wire got plugged into the electrical outlet. Next morning, what seemed like a hundred+ rats were dead on the ground touching the wire.

Obviously there's a safety issue there, but if you have a switch on an extension cord and are watching, you may be able to get rid of them for next to nothing.

PCP

There is a .50 caliber PCP shotgun available from Air Venturi. That is approximately 32 gauge. It uses a single use (non reloadable) plastic hull to hold whatever shot you choose. The frangible hulls hold about 1/4oz of shot. MV is touted at 1130fps.
Pete

Back