Air Rifle Experts - I need your help!

dilligas

Inactive
I'm looking for an air rifle for my 15 year old son. Thinking a single cock (will he be able to do it?), .177 cal. to shoot BB's & pellets, doesn't have to come with a scope I'd kind of like him to use open sites at first, wood stock if possible, good quality staying within $250. Am I asking too much for $250, if so how much do you think I'll need to spend?

My first air rifle I got (as an adult, but for the kid in me) was the Weihrauch 30S (see link below). With its short stock, it is great for kids. It comes with a blade rear sight. Mine rear sight was eventually replaced with a rear peep sight, then finally with a scope. It is a little above the price range you wanted, but they are nice rifles. I agree with kkb to avoid the pump-ups. Springers are just better, and ones like the 30S are NOT hard to cock.

Also I would avoid using BBs. Always use pellets. They are accurate and will not tend to bounce as much as hard BBs if you hit something.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Weihrauch_HW30S_Air_Rifle/2018

Lou

We were recently granted custody of our 14 year old nephew, and I just went through this with him.

There is more than one question to be answered.
Will he be able to cock it, that depends on his build, and physical abilities.

The more powerful the rifle, the more cocking effort it normally takes.
But that being said, where there is a will, there is a way.
If he is slightly built, he may have to adjust how he cocks the rifle.

Also, most break barrel rifles are pellet only.
I agree with pellets instead of bbs, they don't ricochet nearly as forcefully as steel bbs. They are more forgiving.

But MOST break barrel (spring piston guns, and gas ram guns) are hold sensitive. (Search Google for artillery hold)
If you don't hold them they exact way each time, your accuracy will suffer.
The pump up guns and co2 guns are not as hold sensitive.

A break barrel will make you a better shooter overall with regular guns, if you put the consistency into your form.

But the pump ups and co2 are overall easier to shoot.

Personally, I like the .22 caliber air rifles over the .177's
Yes there is a larger selection of .177 pellets at the local Walmart, than there is .22 pellets.
But the high FPS listed on the boxes are rarely what the rifle will actually do in the real world.
And with a heavier pellet, if you wanted to use it for pest control, it just hits things harder..

Right now he is shooting a crosman 1322 with an extended barrel and a shoulder stock, and not very expensive.
It is a pump up, it is easy to pump, accurate, and powerful when pumped up to max.
But you can only out 5 pumps in it for plinking at 10 yards or so..

Good luck, hope we helped, please keep us posted on his progress.

I bought a barrel-cocking .177 Ruger Airhawk witha wooden stock (made in China) last Winter @ a local BassPro for $125 - it came with fiber-optic open sights and a "Ruger" (yeah) 4x scope.

WallyWorld has them on their website @ $98: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ruger-Air-Hawk-Combo-.177-Break-Barrel-Rifle/21125105

Ruger-Air-Hawk-Combo_Ruger-2244001_rifle_lg.jpg

Since I only use it in my dooryard, I sold the scope for $25 to a fella who wanted it for his 10/22.

Even though it has a long-pull, two-stage trigger, it shoots fairly accurately, and can make a butterfly DRT. :p

Last edited:
You may want to check out AirGunWeb's videos on youtube.

youtube.com/user/airgunweb

I bought a Crosman Phantom (Spring gun) based on his recommendation, but to be honest, I got bored of it after a while and went back to my Multi-pump Pneumatic... Believe it or not... I even bought a Crosman 1377 after realizing how I love pump guns.

Anyway, he does put up quality reviews and tells it like it is. You should be able to find the perfect match for your son in his reviews. Hope that helped, a little.

You could consider the Crosman custom shop, which allows you to custom design a CO2 pistol or carbine and specify barrel length, grips, optics or iron sights, muzzle break, etc. They will also personalize the receiver with laser-etched lettering of your choice. It's a great way to get just the features he wants and lets him take part in the design process. A nice one will typically run $150 - $200 and they offer a lifetime warranty on it for an extra $10.

http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop

The only issue might be if you live in a cold climate, the CO2 does not last as many shots per canister in cold weather. In Florida, I get about 50 shots per canister. That's well worth it to me to have full power without pumping.

I have a few issues with the spring guns.

First I've seen the springs wear out in a little as 500 rounds, but most of the time they last 1000 or 2000 rounds.

If you leave them cocked for too long the spring will lose power and where out very quickly.

They need special oil. Do not use combustible fluids on spring guns, they may actually explode! For proof of this check out YouTube, see the guys that put a drop of diesel in the base of a pellet to get higher velocity. A week later their gun blows up.

If you get a break barrel gun, I recommend getting one with a Nitro Piston. They last much longer then spring guns.

Avoid supersonic! Go with a heavy enough pellet to get subsonic. When you go supersonic your accuracy will go out the window, because the pellets go sub sonic and lose stability before they hit the target. The hyper velocity 5g pellets look good on paper, but have less on target( terminal ) energy.

Personally I prefer PCP Or pneumatic pump guns.
Boomer

Rick Eutsler on AirgunWeb.com http://www.airgunweb.com/ is very knowledgeable on all aspects of air guns. His video presentations are both interesting, and educational. Everything from reviews of various airguns to maintenance, tuning, and mods.
I call It the TFL of airguns.

Gamo makes some very good and inexpensive spring piston rifles.
One is a youth sized that shoots .177 pellets at a modest and easy to pump 550 f/s.
It's very accurate and cost around $100 with a 4 power scope.
I got it for a nephew and was able to hit wine bottle corks at 20 yards, with ease.

I have a Gamo Whisper with a Nitro Piston in .22 and a Daisy 953 in .177 (plastic stock, cheaper version of the 853). My 10 year old son is able to cock either of these guns, but shoulders the 953 better.

The Daisy 953/853 are great rifles and are made for 10 meter target shooting, not hunting or plinking past 10 meters. These are pneumatic and have no recoil. It's like shooting lasers. Just pull the trigger and a hole appears in the target. You can get good, quality practice year round, indoors.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Powerline_953_TargetPro/585

You should check out the many Nitro Piston rifles. NP helps to tame spring air rifles so they aren't as hold sensitive and the mechanism appears to be more long lasting (I got several thousand shots before I replaced the spring with an NP).

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Vantage_Nitro_Piston_Air_Rifle/3233#Reviews

If you can spend some more ($400), a Benjamin Discovery package would be awesome:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Rifle_Pump/1534

Whatever you get, I'd get a .177 pellet rifle as the ammo is much cheaper than .22 pellets. Don't bother with BBs unless you just want to have fun and are not worried about accuracy, then BBs are great for plinking.

I ended up getting a BSA Supersport SE. It looks well made. It's for my son for Christmas so I had to fight the urge of shooting it and store it until then. Thanks for all the help.

Back