Aimpoint Red Dot

Snub

Inactive
I recently mounted my new Aimpoint PRO on my rifle and the right side of the red dot looks like paint that spread out from a buddle. The Aimpoint technical agent told me all of the Aimpoint red dot reticles look this way, that you are not to look at the dot, but focus on the target.

I thought the reticle was supposed to be perfectly round.

A lot of you own Aimpoint red dot scopes. Does the dot on your scopes have the paint spread appearance also?

Thx

Mine (and every one ive looked thru..20-30?) is a plainly visible dot. It will "fuzz out" if adjusted too bright. At a reasonable power it a clear o

Yeah, it sounds like you have it adjusted way too bright. Turn the adjustment knob down and you won't see the extra glare that makes the dot look fuzzy. The same setting that makes the dot look perfect in bright daylight will make it appear too bright and fuzzy in lower light, that's why there are so many brightness adjustments.

Could be your eyes and not the Dot. ...

I'm going to go way out and say that you wear prescription glasses. Also that you may even have an stigmatism in you dominant eye. If this is not the case, just disregard this reply. I have used RedDots for a number of years and some of my dots, have done this or look like this. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Red dot

I tried adjusting the brightness and that didn't do any good.

I do wear reading glasses, but before I bought the scope I tested one at a local gun store and remember the dot being perfectly round with no distortion whatsoever.

My friends laugh about how everything I buy is broken. Looks as if I'll be sending the scope back. Bought it through Amazon and they're good about exchanges.

Use a different eye !!!

You may have already thought of this, but have your friend look through it and see how that goes for you. I have seen this problem to varying degrees and really don't notice it any more. Have you tried rotating it of or switching to your weak eye? ;)

The Aimpoint technical agent told me all of the Aimpoint red dot reticles look this way,
That's bull !! ..... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

Aimpoint scope

I've been busy today and I haven't had the opportunity to try looking through it with my weak eye, but will.

I did, however, have a conversation with a fellow at Optics Planet who told me that when I adjust for windage and elevation the lines are going to disappear and I'll have a perfectly crisp round circle. He said it's typical of red dot scopes that are not holographic. He said he knows this for a fact. If this is the case I'm going to have to wonder why the Aimpoint technical agent didn't know it.

When I was debating between a Eotech and Aimpoint I visited a local store that sells both. I liked the Aimpoint because the dot was very red, crisp and looked to be a perfect circle. That's why I'm wondering about my scope. The only Aimpoint the local store had was the Micro H-1 MOA 2, but the Aimpoint technician said that would have no bearing on the dot.

Tomorrow I'm going to revisit the local store and checkout the Aimpoint again.

dot

Concentrate on the target and not the dot. There will always be a bit of "fuzz" around the dot. turn down the intensity as much as is viewable for you.

Working with Dots

Pahoo - What red dot scopes have you tried where the circle has no fuzziness?
I consider myself, a Moderate Conservative so I guess that makes me "cheap".
Most of my dots and I have lost count on how many I own, are what you would consider, low end. My most expensive one, is an Ultra-Dot. To date, I have only had this "tails" image with a BSA and not the rest. I do wear prescription glasses and do have a stigmatism. ..... ;)

Concentrate on the target and not the dot. There will always be a bit of "fuzz" around the dot. turn down the intensity as much as is viewable for you.
Excellent advice and with time, your brain will program itself on the most effective use. For zero magnification optics and that includes open sights, there is nothing more natural or better. One added important point is to keep both eye open ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

IME, the better red dots, PRO, Strikefire, EOTech, all have some flare. It is generally even all around, but still has flare.

The mid-class BSA, Truglo, etc can be made to have no flare at low brightness, but can have parallax issues.

Back