Aiming with target sights?

Redhook

How do you prefer to do it?

I know that combat sights (dot sights) the goal is to put the front dot on your POI while lined up with the rear sights. But, most adjustable target sights don't have dots. So what do you use to line up your POI?

It would make sense to me if your target us cut in half with the top of the sights and the POI at the pinnacle of your of the front sight. Am I incorrect? How do you do it?

Thanks!

-Red-

Scooter2,

Thanks, but I already know that. My question has more to do with where the target is in relation to the sight. Do you envision the target being somewhere in the middle of the post, top of the post, etc.. With dot sights, by putting the dot over your target, the post often hides your Point of Impact (POI). Is it the same with target sights?

-Red-

There are two basic ways that I "orient" the sights with the target. (Both ways, of course, start and end with the eye focusing on the front sight post while you line that in the center of the back sight notch, with the top of the front post even with the top of the back notch).

1. Aim at the center of the target. If it is a bullseye then the top center of your front sight post is exactly in the middle of the circle. The line created by the top of your front post and back notch will divide the circle horizontally in half. Here, your eye concentrates on seeing only a half-circle above your sights.

2. Aim at the very bottom of the target. With a bullseye, the top center of your front post just touches the bottom of the circle. The line created by the top of your front post and back notch will then be horizontally tangent to the circle (that is, it will only touch the circle at exactly one point).

I prefer method #1, so that my sight picture is the same on all types of targets (all different shapes--both paper and animal), but method #2 is actually more precise for bullseye target shooting because you can tell whether your sight line is exactly tangent to the circle or not.

Whether its three dot or target, I use the model of a rising (or setting) sun assuming the target you are shooting is circular. I align the sights so that the bottom half of the target is hidden by the sights. Assuming there is a "X", I'll only see the top portion of it so that it looks like a "V" altough very blurry. All of this is of course moot when rapid firing from a flash sight picture.

The only sight system I use that I actually cover the target is the Ashley Express.

Method 2 is only good for bullseye shooting only. Won't work for action pistol shooting. If you sight you gun for a bottom hold, it's only effective at the range you sight it in for. So if you shoot at a closer range, all your shots will get closer to the bottom the closer you get. It's advantage is that you can see the whole target and you don't have to guess where the center is.

Back