Aiming Calculator For Your Smartphone

COSteve

For those of you who shoot with a scope and need some help with deciding where to hold, let me suggest a free app available at the Google Play Store for your android smartphone called Strelok (there may be one for an iphone but I don’t have one so I don’t know). You can load the specific information about your handloaded ammo (BC, weight, and velocity) for each caliber and bullet weight by specific rifle. If you use commercial ammo, you just select the brand and bullet weight. You also load in information about your specific scope including height, sight-in distance, and reticle you use (80 reticles listed in the free version).

Out in the field you simply input the range, wind, and degrees up or down you’re shooting and the app will calculate your trajectory and aim point giving you both tabular data and even better, an image of your exact reticle with exactly where you should hold it on to hit your target. I’ve used it to help us shoot 400-500yds at apples (my favorite long range reactive target) using my 68grn .223 handloads in both my long range AR with a 12x scope and my son’s Savage 10 with a Nikon Monarch 4-16 scope so far and it works pretty darn good. I’ve also used it to shoot at 300yds with a both my scoped Savage 99 in 300 Savage and my Winchester 88 in .308.

The phone’s memory holds both the program and data so you don’t need Wi-Fi or Cell connection to use the app out in the field. Best of all, you’ve already got your cell phone with you so this means you don’t need another piece of gear to lug around. There is also StrelokPlus for $5.45 that includes 145 more reticles if yours isn’t listed in the free version and he claims that more are added all the time.

You can check out Strelok and download the free version to your computer to try it out HERE. On the page he has a list of the reticles included in the free version and an additional list of those included in StrelokPlus. I don’t have anything to do with the app nor do I make any money off of mentioning it; I just found it, use it, and like it so I figure I’d mention it.

I like the idea but it seems like only the wind should be useful.

That was my thought, plus it's too slow if you're shooting at any critter in the real world. These devices are just too slow. By the time you're done doing the calculations on your Droid, the critter will be gone.

Now, for long-distance shooting competitions (like those "sniper" comps out West), where you're shooting at stationary targets and you've got all day to finger your Droid and then dial or hold off, it could be a nice feature.

Just sayin' ...

I've been using the free version for a year now and it's the best free ballistics calculator I've found so far for my phone. At the range it is very helpful and in the field it has been useful when I've been stand hunting. Plans are in the near future to purchase the full version that has all my reticles in it.

I use the Strelok on my new phone. Like it.
I put in a slight wind drift to my calculations to help me compensate for spin drift. Not exact, I know, but has worked thus far.

Back