Aimed point shooting / P&S method....

I read this article the other day and thought it made sense, at least to this newbie. The article: "AIMED Point Shooting or P&S For Self Defense" is located at:

http://www.pointshooting.com/ps.htm

What does anyone here think about this method overall? Is it stupid? Is it a good idea? Could it be a beneficial addition to the way someone practices? Do you use it at all in your range practice? Would this be a good method to practice self-defense shooting? So many questions.... :rolleyes:

I was considering adding it to my practice sessions at the range. Maybe only 5 or 10 rounds using the P&S method. And the rest of the time using the "regular" standard method (index finger on trigger, etc).

Any input would be beneficial. Thanks in advance!

I'm no expert... But I'd say no, this is not the greatest of ideas. Common sense is telling me my barrel may not always be pointed in the exact direction of my finger... pullin the trigger may send a round in a direction other than the intended... Not a good thing.

FRONT SIGHT! It's working for me... slowly but surely.

I am no expert on this method, but I just read over the linked article a bit, then did an experiement with my revolver. It didn't appear to work for me. I pointed right at a wall socket with my finger, then held and looked at the sights - it looks like I am pointing high and to the left with the gun. My index finger is about 1&1/2" - 2" below the gun barrel and maybe 1/2" to the right. I think that's where the discrepancy comes from.

Also, my two smallest fingers and thumb don't grip the heavy gun very securely when my index and middle fingers are occupied elsewhere. I guess you can always try it at the range to see what results look like on paper, anyway.

I've heard about that method before. Never tried it myself. I figure in a stressful situation or closed spaces such as one's house, I'm just going to site the BG up crudely in less than a second and start blasting him (assuming there is no alternative, of course). I think I'd have more of a problem pulling the trigger with my left index finger, and it would be uncomfortable and awkward to pull the trigger with the middle finger.

After all, we are just going to fall back on how we learned to shoot in such a situation. To shoot with this method under stress means you'd have to practice like this many times to really make it second nature to yourself.

Point shooting does work but requires practice. Yes there is a tendency to shoot high (practice). When engaging multiple targets double tap to the center of mass and another to the head will probably lead to ones demise.

My father in law and I were at the range last week. He was having no problem with the semi auto pistol, but when using the revolver, he was experiencing a lot of misfires. the Primer hits were off center. After examining his technique, he was point shooting with his index finger extended.
The finger was dragging on the cylinder, and pushing it back and forth as the hammer fell, causing these misfires. Judging by this experience, I think this method of point shooting with index finger extended is probably a bad idea. It was amazing. I never had one problem with the same gun, all of the sudden it was misfiring all over the place. We were able to duplicate the problem with snapcaps.

This article resurfaces every so often and always provides comic relief. A solution in search of a problem. Highly not recommended

Aimed point shooting/P&S method

Prior to a Vetnam deployment with River Assault Squadron in 1968, part of our training had to do with the "Quick Kill" method of shooting, which is very similar or nearly identical to Aimed Point.

Got out my little mini IJ TP22 and tried it.
The idea of using your finger to point it fine, but placing it along the slide at least on this particular little gun would be disastrous, as it would cause the slide to impede and probably malfunction. Other guns where your finger is not touching the slide, might work.Too hard to guage how hard you might press in a pressure situation. Secondly, I would not advise pulling the trigger with the middle finger if you haven't been shooting that way. We spend hours of practice even with the normal trigger finger to get the proper motor control, and all of a sudden use another finger?

But having said this, I use a point and shoot practice at the range quite successfully. I cut out a hold in my cardboard backing, about 6 x 8 inches. From seven yards I practice drawing and firing without aiming. Just point and shoot, but holding the gun the normal way. From 7 yards I rarely miss.
Back to 15 yards, I point and shoot but use a flash aim, and about 95% go through the hole. I practice 2 COM this way, double taps, and then a aimed
shot at the bull above which represents the head shot. We were taught by the sheriffs dept. to take two quick COM shots, and then practice slowing down to take the aimed head shot. Different motor controls on each segment. On the flash aim, I am focused on the hole, and have the sights only in my periphial vision. On the aimed shots I focus only on the front and rear sights and have the bull (head shot) in my perphial vision.

I shot instinctive archery for many years which has convinced me the possibility of "instinctive" shooting. Can't say there is no aiming involved, but you don't use sights. So visual perception is still the key, but body alignment is just as important. Sometimes I use my crossman air gun and practice shooting at stuff without aiming.

Why point a barrel AND a finger??? Now your pointing two things and concentrating on the one that doesn't have the projectile coming out of it.

Point shooting (or whatever you want to call it) is probably OK in certain situations, but I'd rather worry about the barrel only,... keeping all fingers where they should be.

gunner: When you trained in quick kill, wasn't it for a rifle? Did you place your finger alongside the weapon as part of it? Because I don't think anyone has a problem with instinctive shooting as an integrated part of combat skills, but placing the finger alongside the gun seems unnecessary.

Heard of this system many times - an inherant problem wich such an "aiming" method causes is the inadecuate grip. Consistant and proper grip is a VERY important basic in accurate shooting. This system is not worth the time to experiment with... IMHO.

Just ask yourself this - point shooting is prefessed to be intended for close ranges, long range is hands down better with sighted fire. But who would want to use it close up for use against bad guys - the grip would make your weapon a prime target for loss. It's just not as secure as it should be. Not a good thing in a fight or flight situation...

And if the situation calls for aimed shooting because of range, you gonna shift your grip and change trigger fingers? Nope - gotta go with what you trainned with.

So what's the point to a system that is inappropriate in the ranges it works best at and will cause bad habits to form at greated distances?

Use your trigger finger for what God intended from the start!!

Another TFL thread on this method...

There is some excellent information on that site, but the P&S system is not part of that.

Read about the known and proven PSing systems on that site.

Quick Kill by brownie (Robin Brown.)

FAS (Fairbarin/Applegate/Sykes) PSing by Matt Temkin.

Do not waste your time with the middle finger BS.

Tom Berringer in the Movie Sniper used his middle finger on his .45 and sniping.....
Only because they cut off his index finger in the first episode!

Keep your middle finger off the trigger (unless your missing your index) and use it for what it was intended for....you know! ;)

The best shooting system for the average CCW is taught by DR Middlebrooks and Called FistFire. Look it up at Tactical Shooting Acadamy.
It's an easy to learn system, and it dosn't take much practice after you learn it to keep good at it. It"s Fast, it's Strong and it's Accurate!!
For CCW, you need a close in your face shooting style that gives you excellent gun retention ability, AND gives you good shooting ability with close range accuracy, yet can be moved quickly to a longer range accurate shooting style. Fistfire does this!

Back