Aim is off by that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowhawk

Inactive
Both of my '72 Sturm&Ruger Super Blackhawk .44's shoot to the left. At 25 to 50 yards I'm consistently off by 3 to 6 inches (respectively). Any suggestions (other than: return to factory or seek professional help.)

In response to a couple of replies: my shot is dead on. A few shooters I know have had the same exact problem with this model. I have to shoot to the right to get X. Problem is that the shot is off at halves; targ's by inch.

[This message has been edited by shadowhawk (edited September 07, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by shadowhawk (edited September 08, 1999).]

Have you shot these on a rest or bag? Not wanting to insult your shooting ability but in high calibers it's easy to anticipate the shot and lean into it. This might be the cause. Sorry if I insulted your knowledge but you didn't mention how you fired.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Brad, The odds are kind of against both of your pistols having defective sights or their barrels turned. Don't take it personal, but have you considered having someone else shoot your pistols and see what happens?

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Some friends suggested:
Focus on the target, not the sights as to prevent shot anticipation.
Do not use hollow points for practice.
Use a lighter grain.
Get a .45 auto!

I feel your friends gave you some bad advice. First of all, no matter where you focus, this will not help with shot anticipation. You should focus on the front sight - press - squeeze. Having a fuzzy target and a sharp front sight is much more conducive to accurate shot placement.

You might try a game of reverse Russian roulette. That is, load your revolver with only 5 bullets. Make sure you don't know where the empty chamber is, and then try your target practice. When you trigger on the empty chamber, you'll know immediately if you flinched or pulled the gun to the left.

Your statement that it is off 6" from 25 yds to 50 yds tells me it still may be the shooter not the revolver. If it is off by 6" at 25 yds, it should consistently be off by 12" at 50 yds if the problem was the sights. Conversely, if it is off by 6" at 50 yds it should only be off by 3" at 25 yds.

The 44Mag is some chunk of gun and frankly with full-house loads I feel personally it is a poor target pistol.
But try and concentrate on sight alignment and a sharp foresight picture - NOT on the target as such.

Also the following may help (it did for me using a friend's 6" barrel S&W with 280gn factory JSPs!):-

Repeat under your breath constantly..."This is NOT going to hurt...It is NOT noisy...I do this because I LIKE it...This will NOT hurt...I LIKE muzzle blast...It will NOT be noisy..."

Have fun - or switch to something else.

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back