AH!!!!!! MY SKS!!!!!

If Russian, if in good, complete condition, that's an excellent price. I don't believe the USSR made any SKSs in 1960, however. Possibly 1950?

I was under the impression that around 1956 was when pretty much the last of the Russian SKS. What you're dealing with is almost certainly a Romanian clone, not a Russian SKS.

RA 1044-1960

The format of that serial number suggests it's Romanian, it is not consistent with the format of the serial numbers used on the Russian rifles but fits perfectly the Romanian pattern.

What's more, the character "R" (not be mistaken for "я") does not exist in the Russian alphabet.

Another thing is the triangle (even with an arrow in it) is also a Romanian arsenal mark, it looks a lot like the Russia's Izhevsk Arsenal, but it isn't.

Lastly, Romania was still producing the SKS in 1960, Russia was not.

Does the bolt at least match the action #? Have you checked the "Romanian" forum at SKSboards?

I would be most curious about the bore's condition-mostly the rifling.
Hopefully you checked it with a bore light, or will if you go back.

It is doubtful that a gun or pawn shop would sell a good or really good 'matching Russian' for that low price. They would price it at least $425, as they all have the Internet to check list, and sale prices on GB etc.

Even a really good, common Norinco would probably be listed for at least $350-unless there is lots of corrosion.

Still a good price for a Romanian.

Absolutely, provided that it's in original condition (no aftermarket modifications) and also in decent overall condition.

so on the ranking board were are the romanian's at? like are they better then the chinese an the closest thing i can get to a russian?

It's hard to rank them because there was some degree of variation even within countries, sometimes a lot of variation in fact. There's really no such thing as a "bad" SKS, they're all slightly different, some incorporate different features, some have better fit & finish than others, but if you get one in decent condition, no matter where it's from, it won't be junk.

That's a deal. I'd figure a way to scrape it together. That should be less than two days worth of work and you've got an SKS. WORTH IT!

It seems like a good price for most any decent working rifle nowadays. I saw a couple of "Parade" '03 Springfields a while back, no firing pins, and they were over $700. I have a Russian SKS(1951) with CCCP and "arrow in star" markings, but I've had it so long I don't recall what I even paid for it. Maybe $200?

Here is the rifle:

0033.jpg

Here is the "Arrow in Star" marking:

0022.jpg

Back