Aguila Mini-shells

TrueBlue711

Has anybody used these? Are they good or bad? I was planning on using them in my Remington 870 (3" chamber) home defense gun, but don't want to use them if there are feeding issues. I heard someone say they're so short, they can accidently go vertical in the chamber and cause a feeding malfunction.

Has anybody used these? Are they good or bad? I was planning on using them in my Remington 870 (3" chamber) home defense gun, but don't want to use them if there are feeding issues. I heard someone say they're so short, they can accidently go vertical in the chamber and cause a feeding malfunction.
I bought a box and shot them in my old Savage pump..if moving the pump slowly and deliberately, they actually fed also. Less recoil...but expensive..If you have a Mossberg, they make a little insert that makes feeding more reliable..PLUS more in the magazine..

Not worth it, IMHO..but buy a box and try them out...I'm thinking that w/o some gadget made for them, they won't reliably feed.

More expensive and not worth the risk of a misfeed or jam for a HD gun. For range time grins and giggles, have at it. I had them jam every other round on a Keltec bullpup

They jam up my KSG. They don't provide enough energy to reliably cycle any of my SA shotguns (1100, 11-87, S2000).

I tried a box of mini slugs and another of mini buckshot in my Benelli Nova, both from Aguila. The mini slugs would jam during extraction, the plastic shell would not come out completely from the chamber and had to be removed by hand. The mini buckshot worked perfectly without any issues in feeding or extraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything that makes a reliable system unreliable or suspect is not an option in my HD scenario.

Especially if I have to pay a lot of money for that unreliability.

:mad:

I've tried to run some "shorty shells" (don't remember which ones) in an 870 with a 3" chamber. They seemed to be ok as long as I worked the action pretty slowly and deliberately. If I ran with any kind of speed, the shells didn't feed right at all. Flipped vertical, maybe got turned backwards, you name it. If you are thinking about using them for HD, please get out and run some rounds hard to be sure they'll feed right.

Spotty in some guns as others have already said. They do run reliably in the Win 1300s, Win SXPs and FN P12s, which all have the same basic design. Of course they also work in break open guns.

Warwolf

There is an outfit named "War Wolf" that sells exotic shotgun ammo, and one of their offerings is a roundball (1-1/8 oz!) in a case that is shorter than 2-3/4", but longer than the Aquilla Mini's, think "midi". The object is to create a longer case that will cycle more reliably than the Aquilla's, but still short enough to allow an increase in mag capacity.

I have NO IDEA if these cartridges cycle reliably or not. But they are out there and I mention them for discussion. I also have no idea if they offer their "midi" shell with other payloads.

The Italian Nobelsport company sell 2 1/4 inch shells that may work in standard pump guns.
Like all shorter shells, none I know of will function in a semi-auto gun.

Also, Federal is marketing 1 3/4 inch mini-shells with birdshot, #4 buckshot, and slug.
These are said by Federal to be full power shells, not as reduced as the Aquila.

They are low recoil and increase capacity in tube magazines.

They can cause feeding issues, even with the adapters, but those events are quite rare.

They are more expensive than they ought to be.

They are plenty effective for home defense and I would recommend, if proven reliable, they be used instead of the 2 3/4 00 Buck most use.

Back