aguila 45 acp high power

automainea

has anyone used this ammo?i have never heard of it until a freind told me about it being 1500 fps and being very lethal,at only 117 gr.please let me know of any info on this cartridge,thanks

G&A or Handguns did an article on the Aguila .45 a few months back. I seem to recall that it would hold up going through barriers (auto glass, dry-wall, leather) fairly well but when it penetrated ballistic gel it would fragment into 4 pieces. Each piece (three serrated petals and the base) would travel it's own path for about 7.5 inches.

I have shot a few boxes through my Cougar 8045 without any failures to feed and accuracy seemed no better/worse than Gold Dots or Hydroshocks.

The "12 inches in gel" is after punching through 3/4" of Lexan, which plugs the hollowpoint and prevents fragmentation. Bare or clothed gelatin with no hard barrier results in fragmentation and 7-8" of penetration by the four fragments which fan out into an 8" diameter circle.

This is per the review in the 11/00 issue of Guns and Weapons for The King's Men.

I got a box of the stuff for Valentine's Day, but I haven't been attacked by any gelatin yet.

I bought a box of the ammo to shoot in my Kimber Ultra Elite. My thought was that it would be fine summer ammo and would get up to speed out of a short barrel very quickly. And, it does fragment quite well, into either 3 or 4 pieces. Conceptually, I really like the ammo.

On the down side, the stuff is wild! People talk about the flash from Hydrashok ammo at night. This stuff produces a whole vapor plume out of the front of the gun that has to be 12-18" in diameter and up 20 or 30" inches in length. It is the only .45 ammo I have shot where I felt the heat radiate back from the vapor plume. In the dark, the vapor plume is quite brilliant and very impressive.

Then there is the sound. The Aguila highpower ammo sounds about twice as load as normal .45 ammo. Every so often, I will load a round or two in my gun and enjoy watching the shootings to the left or right of me jump when I get to the Aguila round. It really is that much louder.

Buy a box and give them a try. They are a hoot.

I don't know if the lighter load is something I would count on for defense, although they are about the same weight as some 9 mm ammo and travel faster. The fragmentation stuff I have seen is neat because each fragment takes its own trajectory in the gelatin. I would say that if the shot did not hit bone going in, then the intended target would likely have some serious bleeding issues given that the 3 or 4 pieces, going in different directions, are bound to hit blood vessels.

I think I would be thrilled if Hydrashok made a similarly fragmenting round.

How good can ammo be that's made in Mexico? I mean, seriously, when's the last time anyone heard of ANYTHING good being made in Mexico, besides the food?

Double Naught Spy

From your description, it sounds like it might be a good tactical choice. Even if you miss, you might set their clothes on fire. Or Knock them out with the sonic blast.

Of course, the user runs the same risk.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I bought some of their .22 high velocity ammo. I like it, but I'm not that curious about their other products.

Viper, what a question! "How good can ammo be that's made in Mexico?" You know, Americans were saying the same thing about the cheap junk in Japan until one day America woke up and realized that they were literally decades behind Japan in manufacturing and that Japan was producing better products at a cheaper cost to the consumer even AFTER having shipped it across the ocean. An this went beyond finished products. Japan was able to do this with such things as steel even. And now, even Korea produces a tremendous amount of quality goods. Yes, America was just running along in our AMC Pacers, Ford Pintos and Corvairs, made with steel from factories using 1920s and 1930s technology.

So how good could it be if it is made in Mexico? Given America's abilities to not realize when they are being out done by other countries, we should not discount products simply because of where they are made. We should evaluate it on the merits of the individual product.

Back