Aggrevating. Just...aggrevating.

SaxonPig

Four rounds into one, elongated hole. Then the 5th is out there, baby.

standard.jpg

This is the rifle.

standard.jpg

And that is why some folks pay as much for rimfire ammo as others do for centerfire. Anything to keep the dreaded flyer from screwing up the groups.

Jimro

I'm smiling. Not too long ago I shot a near perfect 4 shot group. I had the 5th round in my hand, but finally decided that the Range Troll probably would cause that 5th round to be out of the group (like he's done so many times before), so I took the wise approach and left it at 4. I just couldn't risk messing up something that lovely.

Had that happen at the last cmp shoot. I had all my sighters inside the 8 ring and then when I started shooting for score they all started stringing out to the 6 and 7 rings

I find things tend to stay tighter, if I dont look into the spotting scope, until after the last round is fired. ;)

That is part of the "fun" of shooting. I tend to get upset that I pulled a shot so I try again, and again and again. Its some sort of viral infection developed by ammo companies. :)

I feel your pain. I had the same thing happen to me on Friday while out shooting.

The good news is that I was doing load work ups, and I am pretty sure I found the load seeing as the flyer was 100% my fault for pulling it.

That flyer has been the Rifleman's Curse for a long time. E.B. Mann wrote of it in his book, "The Bullet's Flight From Powder To Target", back in the 1890s.

Any shooter who is on the range long enough to have to go to the restroom has seen this, probably many times. The real pain is if your rifle, or you, makes this happen with most every group.

That's why I use wind flags and good ammo when shooting groups. Centerfire handloads are usually better than factory, but I've had a few surprises with Rem Core-Loct. A 7mm-08 that I pillar-bedded shot a perfect three shot cloverleaf with Core-Locts at 100 yards, but not that good with some handloads (not tuned for that particular rifle, however).

I can understand the "called" flyer. I know when I have pulled a shot most of the time. It is that unexpected one that really makes you wonder. I am finding that the shooters who are shooting Lapua Center X are serious about 22 LR. The folks shooting Tenex are raving fanatics:D

Our range has been getting in some Lapua Standard that actually works pretty good. I have come very close to duplicating the factory test target supplied with my rifle at 50 yards when using good ammo.

The REALLY tough part is trying to do that at 100 yards. I have had one elongated hole for 3 shots, but 2 out of the 5 I shoot go somewhere else:mad:

I have done that several times. The rifle ( Anschutz MPR 64 ) is really solid. The trigger is now about 8 ounces and you really have to be careful when pulling to the second stage.

It is all part of the fun.

What type/brand/etc ammo was used ?

I'm asking because I also have a BSA Martini Model 12 - a takedown model, with P-H rear peep & P-H globe front sights.

geetarman, I'm with you when it comes to the unexplained flyers. I did everything right and how the heck did the bullet get way over there. Usually at that point I'll consider that maybe it's time to clean the bore. I did that the other day with my 223 and that turned out to have been the problem.

I recently awarded myself with 100 FREQUENT FLYER POINTS....cause something in my head says "yeah the crosshairs are center....exhale and squeese...dumbass another flyer". nice group though Saxon!!!

Assume you have a BSA model 12 and so do I. Don't know what distance you were shooting, but I'd blame it on the ammo used, LOL. Nice shooting Sir.

At range I'm a member, a couple of months ago we began a 22 rifle 50 yd competition and we hold it once a month. Limited to any 22 rifle with open/iron sights....no scopes allowed. I use my BSA Martini 12 in it. Finished 2nd place the first competition and won the next. I'd tied the winner of first competiton on points scored, but he had one more shot cutting the X ring than me. Darn flyer cost me bad in the first competition or I'd won on points. Something I luckily avoided in the 2nd competition.

Anyway, have a hoot shooting against the guys with some very nice modern target style 22 rifles and beating them with my very old BSA rifle.

nice looking rifle...love my single shots as well, & have 3 martini types, but no 22 LR yet...

BTW... still good shooting...

... just out of curiosity I went to Midway's site ( seemed like they used to have the high end target ammo, even when they were out of common stuff ) today, they have NO 22 LR at any price...

... now, I'm not out of 22... but I refuse to shoot anything that I'm either not super deep on reserve ammo or components... so I can't remember the last time I shot 22, as I have many guns in that caliber, & maybe 2 bricks or so of ammo left... can't justify buying common range ammo at semi panic prices... probably should have bought more match ammo though, back when it was available...

hoping to shoot Cowboy this summer... I took last summer off, because components were too tight

YEP!

I did that shooting a 1911 at a 1in square. The first 4 were all in the square, the last one lands with a .5in gap between the edge and the square. :(
(It was at 7yds, so I'm no magician, but I feel your pain.)

Back