Age restriction when moving from WI to CA?

CmpsdNoMore

Recently I discovered that here in Wisconsin you can privately buy a pistol when you're 18, as opposed to from a dealer at 21, when my uncle was showing me some shooting stuff he was going to be selling.

I really want to get this handgun, but I have a problem. I'm 19

I can legally buy this pistol in Wisconsin but, according to California law, I would need to be 21 to buy a pistol either through a dealer or privately.
Does that mean, even if I legally own the pistol in Wisconsin, it won't be legal in California?
What about if someone like my mother registered it in California and I used it.
Is it lawful for me to posses it, at the age of 19, if it's registered to someone else?

I looked up some sight by the NRA on state gun laws, but couldn't find any helpful info on possession.

Thanks

Also, please refrain from the "just don't move to California" line.

Write to the CA Bureau of Firearms. They'll be happy to get back to you and then (if it's legal) you'll have a nice piece of paper certifying that, just in case you get in trouble.

Don't quote me, but I believe it would be legal as long as you register it within 60 days of moving here; CA firearms law has a lot of "Legal to own, legal to personally bring in, just not legal to sell" provisions.

Last edited:
In CA you must be 21, the same as federal law, to purchase a pistol. All firearms transfers, public and private, legally must go through a dealer. That's been true for a long time.

You can either leave your handguns with a family member to be sent to you in two years, since all handguns must be declared to the state attorney generals office if you move to CA, and they're not likely to allow you to keep them at age 19.

Be careful, it's a militantly anti-gun state.

In CA you must be 21, the same as federal law, to purchase a pistol. All firearms transfers, public and private, legally must go through a dealer. That's been true for a long time.

You can either leave your handguns with a family member to be sent to you in two years, since all handguns must be declared to the state attorney generals office if you move to CA, and they're not likely to allow you to keep them at age 19.

I'm not sure this is correct. The laws for purchasing are not the same as laws for ownership. Assuming the pistol was legally purchased, you will have to have a california law that says people under 21 cannot own/possess a handgun. Off the top of my head I can't tell you whether there is one or not.

Head over to calguns.net. They will give you the straight dope. Also be wary of what Cali DOJ tells you. They have been caught numerous times giving information that is either unclear when the law is settled or telling people an act is illegal when it clearly is not.

Back