Age of S&W M28-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSG

I found one of these locally (Ser. # N527XXX) and asked the guys to hold onto it for a couple of days. 4" barrel and about 98% condition. Firm at $275.

As I understand, the 28-2 was the last model to use a pinned barrel and recessed chambers. Why is this a good thing? Also, I cannot find a site to date this based on the serial number. Any help?

Based on the serial number, I'd say that this Model 28 was manufactured in 1979 or 1980.

The pinned barrel and recessed cylinder were discontinued a couple of years later, about 1982, for all models. I like these features because they were extra pains, so to speak, that S&W took in manufacturing its revolvers. They also have a certain collector appeal--or at least, some dealers think so when they write out the price tag. For practical purposes, however, they make no difference that I'm aware of. The cylinder recessing, for instance, supposedly became unnecessary with improved cartridge case strength.

BTW, I've read the opinion of one gun writer that the hole for the barrel pin weakens the frame in that area. If so, I'd guess that the weakness is more hypothetical than practical. Someone else can probably say with greater certainty, but it's not something I'd be concerned about.

Regarding the Model 28, this is a gun that I personally like very much. I have one with a 6" barrel, and it is probably the .357 that I find the most fun to shoot, with the exception of my brother's .357 SAA.

I hope this helps some.

Thanks very much for your input, Jimmy. Where is there a datbase of S&W serial numbers?

Hey I just noticed I'm a Senior Member! Doesn't take much, does it? :)

[This message has been edited by CSG (edited November 24, 1999).]

Congrats on the senior membership.

Unfortunately I don't know of a website or database for S&W serial numbers. Maybe someone else can help with this. :)

A fairly comprehensive listing of serial numbers and dates is available in the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Supica and Nahas. I don't have my copy with me, but I believe that the info in my post is correct within a year or so.

Let us know if you decide to go for the Model 28. :)

Oh, I'm going to go for it all right! :)

I don't know if $275 is really a great price or not but I live in a smaller town in Idaho and while we have pretty good selection, it's not like larger metro areas.

I used to have a Colt Trooper and that was the last .357 I've owned. As I have a couple thousand rounds of .38 and only a S&W 442 to shoot them through, I've been looking for a good utility .357. The N frame S&W's seem to fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back