Aftermarket sight options for a Marlin 336 XLR SS

smokiniron

Hi Folks....

I have a Marlin 336 XLR SS in 30-30. It's a fun levergun. I got it with the 24" barrel in mind and use Hornady Leverevolution FTX ammo (factory and reloads) for improved range and ft-lb delivery.

The stock iron sights are OK, I guess. But I'd like some recommendations for lower priced 1 MOA optics, Peep Sights, improved iron sights, etc. I might put a fixed 4X scope on it, but it's a LEVERGUN! So I'd like to keep it simple, but deadly to 200 yds.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I've used my .30-30 sucessfully out to 200yds, with a Williams receiver peep sight.

Williams makes at least one model (FoolProof), and maybe two more (5D, and WGRS), that will bolt up to the rear two scope mount screws atop the receiver. (MidwayUSA, or directly from Williams Gun Sight Co.)

63331fp94seset.jpg

Skinner ( www.skinnersights.com ) also makes very nice receiver peep sights, in stainless, blued/carbon, or brass, that likewise utilize the scope mount screw holes.

Express_3.jpg
Express_Stainless_94.jpg

Elegant solution .... the Skinner. I like that one. Does it by chance utilize the standard front site, or does that get replaced? The Williams looks nice, and I've searched them out. I just needed to hear from someone who'd already solved the problem!
Much appreciated...

ALL top-mounted receiver peep sights (Skinner, XS, Williams WGRS, etc) require a front sight somewhat higher than the issue height, due to the new, higher line-of-sight.

The Williams FP or 5D, however, do not - since those two carry the peep bar behind the sight base ILO atop it, the line-of-sight isn't raised.

Whether the front sight actually needs height changing or not, many shooters take the opportunity to change it out anyway, for a sight with a different type bead they like better than the issue - beit a Gold bead, Ivory bead, or a Fibre-Optic bead.

BTW - Skinner sells appropriately higher Patridge-type front sight blades ($15, IIRC) - so if you tell them the rifle when ordering, they'll send the correct height.

IF you change the front sight, DON'T just beat it out of the ramp.
Support the RAMP solidly, then use a non-marring drift (a brass door hinge pin works) with a heavy hammer to drive it out towards the loading port side. (Installation is in the opposite direction)

Don't forget to remove the rear bbl sight for a clear/clean sight picture, AND order (or make) a dovetail slot filler blank, to fill the empty dovetail where the rear sight was.

I make my own slot fillers, by filing them up from an old longleaf rear sight.

DSCN0461.jpg

DSCN0466.jpg

re Slot filler....

Thanks PetahW for the information on the Skinner and Williams. I scoped out the Skinner site last night. Yeah, it looks like a quick call will get exactly what I need for the rifle in question. I also liked to configuration with an alternate peep screwed into the front-top of the sight.

I have the skinner tactical peep sight on my marlin.

http://www.skinnersights.com/tactical_sights_14.html

It wasn't so much a matter of needing a "tactical" sight. I just felt that the wings might keep the aperture ring from snagging on things or getting bumped out of alignment. The tactical sight is also a little lower profile than the standard skinner sight, so the factory front sight DID work.

...I ended up buying a skinner front sight anyway (just a standard one, not the tactical), because I preferred the squared post over the rounded Marlin sight.

As for the screw in apertures, I believe there are 5 sizes. The middle size comes with the sights and seems good for most conditions. I also ordered one size smaller, which should allow for a little more precision but can be tougher to see through in dim light.

I had also considered the Williams sight, and while that one may offer more predictable adjustments, the cleaner look of the Skinner was more appealing to me.

Last edited:
I have the skinner tactical peep sight on my marlin.

I like your argument about the wings. It doesn't look half-bad, either, and the protection afforded the post makes it worth considering.
Thanks!

IF you change the front sight, DON'T just beat it out of the ramp.
Support the RAMP solidly, then use a non-marring drift (a brass door hinge pin works) with a heavy hammer to drive it out towards the loading port side. (Installation is in the opposite direction)

Don't forget to remove the rear bbl sight for a clear/clean sight picture, AND order (or make) a dovetail slot filler blank, to fill the empty dovetail where the rear sight was.

I also recommend the Williams FoolProof receiver sight for the op's Marlin. I have FoolProofs mounted on several of my rifles (a couple since the early sixties) and have always been satisfied with them. The Williams company offers great customer service and is very responsive to queries from prospective buyers.

PetahW: After having installed a Williams FoolProof peep sight on my Winchester 1886 Extra Light Weight (repo) rifle, I want to remove the factory rear sight and install a filler blank in the dovetail. Do you remove the rear factory iron and install the blank in the same directions as you do on the front sight ("out" towards the loading port; "in" opposite)? Thanks.

Another option is to order the proper height Fiber Optic Front Sight, and use a HOOD over it...which is a perfect match for the Skinner!

One other option is the Marbles Bullseye peep...but it is a barrel mount...
I don't think they've made a receiver version yet...

Big Shrek on Marlins

Big Shrek, thanks for the recommendations. I just had dual cataract surgery in the last 30 days. I'm going shooting tomorrow for the first time since getting my new eyes. My plan was to see what I (and the gun) can do at 100 yds off the bench, than start dialing in on appropriate sights form there. I just reloaded a few boxed of Hornady FTX with their Levereloution powder. The loads are hot, but not maxed out - just to Hornady's specs.
But, to this point, all I've shot has been Winchester and Federal 150 gr stuff from Wally-World.
This gun is a new 336XLR SS. Any recommendations on what ammo or loads it likes? I'd like to pair it with a load that will allow 300 yd kills on Mule deer. That said, shots will be 100-150 yds max as a practical matter.
Thanks!

Back